Feel good about how you did on the exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took the Mechanical Systems and Materials exam. Going into the test, I was surprisingly calm and reasonably confident. I didn't have that butterfly feeling in my stomach that I expected. The morning portion for me went well I think. There were no surprises and I felt it wasn't too difficult. I went through the questions one after the next with little trouble. I found myself surprisingly calm and methodical throughout the morning portion. All in all, there were only two questions that I had to completely guess on. Most of my trouble with the morning portion was with HVAC which is an area I didn't spend very much time studying. I ended up finishing the morning exam about 45 minutes early and reasonably confident.

The afternoon portion was a whole other beast. I felt it was more difficult than any of the practice exams prepared me for. That calm and methodical feeling went right out the window a few questions in because I was spending too much time on each question and wasn't finding answers. I took the full four hours for this part of the exam. I didn't think it was unreasonably difficult, just more difficult than I expected. I ended up having to completely guess on six questions on this part of the exam. There was at least one question I remember that I think I got right but I felt was a trick question.

I honestly have no idea whether I passed or not. It could go either way. I can say that of the ones that I didn't guess on (72/80), I got an answer that matched one of the possible choices. Though, we all know this doesn't mean much. If I had to redo everything again, I wouldn't change much. If anything, I would spend more time on HVAC and Thermo which I largely neglected in my studying. I can say that when it came to four of the eight questions that I had to guess on, no amount of reasonable studying would have prepared me to answer them. So for the most part I think I did the best that I could when it came to studying for this monster and pass or fail that's what matters to me.

Agreed. I don't get these recent posts I see all over the board with people stating they only had to guess on a handful of questions and question whether or not they passed.

Any general thoughts about the Structural PM exam? For me the questions were really diverse and some of them unexpected, but I felt the level of the exam was about the same as the practice/sample exams

@JimmerC the board has been lacking responses for the Structural Depth PE Exam.. I felt the questions were diverse as well - and agree that it was equiv. in difficulty to the NCEES practice test

Personally I also thought the PM was a bit more forgiving than the AM portion - either that or I gained false confidence after the lunch break lol

@JimmerC the board has been lacking responses for the Structural Depth PE Exam.. I felt the questions were diverse as well - and agree that it was equiv. in difficulty to the NCEES practice test

Personally I also thought the PM was a bit more forgiving than the AM portion - either that or I gained false confidence after the lunch break lol
Yeah, I had heard from so many people that the AM was a joke and the PM struct very tough... that in the end the PM part did not look that bad

Civil Breadth - Water Resources PM (other civil disciplines can also opine) - How did you all do?

Just wanted to get the vibes to see how folks did these topics in April 15 Exam. This is not my first time with each time missing by 2-4 points in the past. AM was easier this time around I felt (AM was my biggest problem all along). My take on the AM is like this. I think I guessed / eliminated 3-4 questions. About 3-5 I got an answer which I feel could go either way. I do think I got remaining questions correctly. There were 4 questions that I answered directly from EET Notes with number / sentence changed. The qualitative (theory questions) questions were tricky I should say.

I felt PM (WRE) was some what challenging with lengthy time consuming problems (6-8q). However, the qualitative questions were easier. There was one questions directly same sentence from David Cornwell book. Goswami book helped me with 3-4 questions. I think I really got definitely 20-21. About 10, I am pretty sure I had correct answer. About 5 I got answers for lengthy ones which I am not sure of. About 4-5 I had to take educated guesses /elimination. I am crossing fingers on positive side this time around.

As a first time taker, I didnt feel good or I didnt feel bad. This week after the exam I went through the phases where I tried to recall as many problems and find out if I really did them correctly. The questions I guessed, I tried to asked people around and google search. Then I doubted myself that as a first time taker, luck wasn't on my side but I still hope that maybe, just maybe, some of the questions I guessed were correct.

Surprisingly, it took me quite quickly to recover and accept the fact that I might be a possibly repeat taker. I learned my strengths and weaknesses and definitely will try to work on those if the result is not on my side. But again, it's not over until you see the letter and the result.

As of the moment, I'm getting back to normal swing of things. Enjoying the hours I used to dedicate to reading/studying to relaxing. My next goal in the next few months. I have to move on :)
@Mjco04, remember that two third of the first time takers pass. So your chances are more..don't lose hope.
This is a positive way to look at it. Im a half glass empty kinda gal,

I hope you guys who thought the PM Transpo was tough, pass .... all I can say is, take EET if you need to. I was very prepared for this test thanks to those guy. If I don't pass it will be due to my own stupidity or getting sucked into traps that I didn't pick up on.
Agree.I took the School Of PE -On-demand class, and It definitely prepared me for most of the questions. I didn't use my time wisely in the afternoon so I had to blindly guess quite a few questions. I went into the exam feeling I knew absolutely nothing, went to lunch feeling like I was going to pass with flying colors, and went home feeling like its a borderline pass-fail b/c I didn't manage my time well in the afternoon and that screwed me bad. I didn't feel like there was much 'engineering judgement' related questions in the entire exam. Maybe that's where I fail? haha

I felt great test day and still do! I finished the morning 40 questions in a little over an hour (it was so easy I could hardly believe this is what I was preparing for) I went over anything that vaguely had me thinking and made sure I read all the questions correctly. The afternoon I had all 40 completed by the 2.5 hour mark and had time to look through everything I had questions on at least one more time.

I feel great about this exam, I can not wait to have this out of the way so I can move on to my new position that is waiting for the results to come back!

Civil Breadth - Water Resources PM (other civil disciplines can also opine) - How did you all do?

Just wanted to get the vibes to see how folks did these topics in April 15 Exam. This is not my first time with each time missing by 2-4 points in the past. AM was easier this time around I felt (AM was my biggest problem all along). My take on the AM is like this. I think I guessed / eliminated 3-4 questions. About 3-5 I got an answer which I feel could go either way. I do think I got remaining questions correctly. There were 4 questions that I answered directly from EET Notes with number / sentence changed. The qualitative (theory questions) questions were tricky I should say.

I felt PM (WRE) was some what challenging with lengthy time consuming problems (6-8q). However, the qualitative questions were easier. There was one questions directly same sentence from David Cornwell book. Goswami book helped me with 3-4 questions. I think I really got definitely 20-21. About 10, I am pretty sure I had correct answer. About 5 I got answers for lengthy ones which I am not sure of. About 4-5 I had to take educated guesses /elimination. I am crossing fingers on positive side this time around.
Well. I did Pass with 83% in Texas. Thanks to EB and EET. Keep it up.

The longer I wait, the more the answer to this question is no... has it really only been 2 days???

Final phase of the whole thing is, after you passed the exam, you figured you need new thing to stressed on, like enrolled into graduate school, taking another exam or new a hobby..i'm on that phase for quite a bit already..i m bored

Back