Failed EIT Test Takers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just took the October 2013 FE exam. This was my first time taking it after being out of school for almost 10 years. I had read in Lindeburg's FE Manual that the typical passing score is somewhere around getting 110 out 240 possible points. However, it sounds like people that have failed had scores over 110 based on their diagnostic reports.

I know that there is some "adjustment" made to bring the passing score to 70%. What I'm wondering is if the diagnostic reports are truly showing a "raw" score, or if these have already been adjusted? I just wonder this because I read in Linedburg's FE Manual that a passing score is typically 110, or a little less than 50%.

Anybody have any insight into this?

I just took the October 2013 FE exam. This was my first time taking it after being out of school for almost 10 years. I had read in Lindeburg's FE Manual that the typical passing score is somewhere around getting 110 out 240 possible points. However, it sounds like people that have failed had scores over 110 based on their diagnostic reports.

I know that there is some "adjustment" made to bring the passing score to 70%. What I'm wondering is if the diagnostic reports are truly showing a "raw" score, or if these have already been adjusted? I just wonder this because I read in Linedburg's FE Manual that a passing score is typically 110, or a little less than 50%.

I suggest you search "cut score" in this forum. You can read everyone's theories to your heart's content. But even reading this same thread shows that the 70 is not a raw percentage. When they used to give out scores, they always set whatever the passing score is to 70 so that people in different disciplines can compare against each other and you could compare your score from one time to the next. Because the passing score changes everytime based on difficulty.

I suggest you search "cut score" in this forum. You can read everyone's theories to your heart's content. But even reading this same thread shows that the 70 is not a raw percentage. When they used to give out scores, they always set whatever the passing score is to 70 so that people in different disciplines can compare against each other and you could compare your score from one time to the next. Because the passing score changes everytime based on difficulty.
Ok, thanks for the info. That's pretty much what I assumed, but I wanted to see what other folks thought too.

I took a class last year to prepare for the FE, and, according to the instructor, in April 2012, the row score was 59%. He said that was the highest score, up to that date. I passed the exam last October, so I can't tell you what the cut score was after that. But, if you did more than 60% correct you should be good. I think the information from Lindeburg is dated.

Back