EPRM

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iahim

Reaction score
Does anybody know when Camara's Power Reference Manual will be revised again? It seems like the EERM was on a two to five year cycle (8th edition - 2008, 7th edition - 2006, 6th edition - 2001, 5th edition - 1997, ...). I need to start studying soon, but I don't want to buy it too early and then have an outdated version. Thanks!

dont depend on camara book..camara book alone is not a good preparation. Relearn the basics not review(refresh) what you learned in your years of college

dont depend on camara book..camara book alone is not a good preparation. Relearn the basics not review(refresh) what you learned in your years of college
Thanks for your response! I won't depend on it, I've started reading form other books already. I was just wondering if it would be worth buying now, or should I wait a while. I plan/hope to take the exam in Oct. 2013.

my suggestion is buy now...if it change it wont be that much....probably the only good information you can get from that book is the footcandle formula and few others...i suggest enroll in GA Tech course and buy complex imaginary and spin up tests. Learn the basics of everything and of course the theory that is involved with it.

my suggestion is buy now...if it change it wont be that much....probably the only good information you can get from that book is the footcandle formula and few others...i suggest enroll in GA Tech course and buy complex imaginary and spin up tests. Learn the basics of everything and of course the theory that is involved with it.
Thanks again for the advice! I really appreciate it. Do you think the Tech course is better than the others? If it was live, so you get the chance to ask questions, etc., I would sign up for it without any hesitation.

Is actually a pre-recorded course...when you sign in you are going to have access to all modules..(videos) then Mr. Callen will send you a binder with the material he discuses in the videos if you have questions you can send him an email...he usually answer pretty fast....sometimes you can attend to the course if they are providing live classes. The course really helped me he have all possible combinations formulas for auto transformers and motors. i can say i basically use more the binder he provide on the actual exam than the camara book. Of course there is no warranty that if you follow the course you are going to pass but the better prepared you are the better the chances....myself...i dedicated a lot of time to study...about a year...i forgot almost everything so i had to start from scratch....but i guess i was well prepared if i passed on first try. you need to do a bunch of problems....a bunch....myself i think if i count them all i think i made like 2000 problems...thats including complex imaginary and text book problems.

Considering that I will take the exam in Oct, would you recommend the January or August session?

If you are going to take the test in October 2013 your scenario looks pretty similar to mine when i took it. This is what i did when i was preparing. I had 3 main books, plus the Camara package. The text books that i used was Electric Circuits 8th edition by Nilsson & Riedel(have solution manual), Electric Machinery Fundamentals (i have third Edition, but the solution manual that i have is for the forth edition) by Stephen J. Chapman and the Electrical Machines, Drives and Power Systems Sixth Edition (have solution manual) by Theodore Wildi. Assuming that you are going with Power Option of the exam you can start reading this books and chapters. This will give you the basic knowledge and shall keep you oriented until July. As i said this is what I read and study. It works for me...doesn't mean it would work for you.

1. Electrical Circuits, I read chapters:

-Chapter 9 Sinusoidal Steady State Analysis

-Chapter 10 Sinusoidal Steady State Power Calculations

-Chapter 11 Balanced Three-phase Circuits

-Chapter 18 Two port Circuit

Basically those chapters covers what is needed from that book for the PE...assuming you already know DC analysis, like node analysis, mesh analysis, voltage divider etc en DC.

2. Electric Machinery Fundamentals I read Chapters:

Remember i have 3rd edition 4th edition probably have these chapters in different order

-Chapter 1 Introduction to Machinery Principles

-Chapter 2 Transformers

-Chapter 3 Introduction to power electronics <--this is kind of hard topic to understand

Basically the rest of the Chapters on the books are dedicated to different type of motors.

I read Chapter 4 AC Machinery Fundamentals

Chapter 6 Synchronous Motors

Chapter 7 Induction Motors

Chapter 8 DC machinery fundamentals <--DC motors is not covered on NCEES criteria but i still read it.

I just cover the parts of motors...didn't cover the part of Generator since is the same thing the only different is that the formula change a little bit...remember a motor is also a generator.

That's all for the Chapman book.

3. Electrical Machines, Drives and Power Systems.

- Chapter 7 Active, Reactive, and Apparent Power.

-Chapter 8 Three-Phase Circuits

-Chapter 9 The Ideal Transformer

-Chapter 10 Practical Transformers

-Chapter 11 Special Transformers

-Chapter 12 Three-Phase Transformers

-Chapter 13 Three-Phase Induction Machines

-Chapter 15 Equivalent Circuit of the Induction Motor

-Chapter 17 Synchronous Motors

-Chapter 18 Single-phase motors

-Chapter 20 Basics of industrial motor control

-Chapter 21 Fundamental elements of Power electronics <--Same thing...this is hard to understand.

These chapter below are important to know.

-Chapter 24 Generation of electrical Energy

-Chapter 25 Transmission of electrical Energy

-Chapter 26 Distribution of electrical Energy

-Chapter 27 The cost of electricity <--I didn't read this chapter but in the real test there was a question related to this chapter...still without reading the chapter i think i got it right on the real exam.

-Chapter 30 Harmonics

(note this also include to do the problems at the end of each chapter)

From the Camara Book Power Reference Manual the only thing that is worth for the exam are:

Chapter 28 Transformers

Chapter 33 Generation Systems

Chapter 34 Three-Phase Electricity and Power

Chapter 35 Batteries

Chapter 36 Power Distribution

Chapter 37 Power Transformers

Chapter 38 Power Transmission Lines

Chapter 39 Power System Analysis

Chapter 40 Protection and Safety

Chapter 41 Rotating DC Machinery

Chapter 42 Rotating AC Machinery

I'll skip chapter 43-47 this is the electronics part. I didn't give to much attention to those.

Chapter 48 Lightning Protection and Grounding

Chapter 49 Illumination (basically the end of this chapter gives you the most important information which is foot candle calculation, but you are free to read all the chapter)

Chapter 50 Power System Management

Chapter 51 Measurement and Instrumentation

Chapter 52 Electrical Materials

Chapter 53 Biomedical Electrical Engineering <--not that important but is a good read.

Chapter 54 National Electrical Code

Chapter 55 National Electrical Safety Code

Chapter 56 Engineering Economic Analysis <---I didn't read this chapter, I found that engineering economics was always been easy to me so, you can find in the exam probably a problem to calculate the future value givin the present value, also you can find economic questions based on how much will be the savings if you change Metal halide fixtures with fluorescent fixtures questions like that.)

I didn't read the rest of the chapters.

Note for NEC questions i bought a book called "Master Electrician Review' chapter 4 give you good tips on how to find stuff quick on the NEC. But to find stuff quick requires a lot of practice finding thing in the NEC. I find beneficial the use of the official NFPA NEC tabs....is like 12 bucks but give you speed on finding things....also the index in the back....and the table of content in the front.

Regarding protective Relaying i couldn't find good info regarding that topic. GA Tech discuss protective relaying but still is something hard to understand. It is recommended to have the IEEE relay number table handy in the exam. Also a knowledge of symmetrical components.

After reading all these chapter then it really comes the final touches to your preparation....i would suggest enrolling to the GA Tech Power Option review in August, the course when i took it was basically 6 Modules (6 days) what i did i divide the modules half of the module on Saturday and half of the module on Sunday after finish the module(videos) I dedicate the rest of the week reviewing at what the professor discussed in the module from the notes he sent on the binder, this include trying to resolve the problems and getting familiar with the formulas and the binder. Then on next weekend continue with module 2 and do the same thing for next week. You shall finish this by mid September. Starting on mid September i would start doing as much problems as i can simulating the same conditions of real exam. I would suggest complex imaginary(have some errors probably it have been fixed by now).....and then at the end I'll do the real NCEES practice problems simulating the same conditions of the exam. When i took it spin off test wasn't available...any way didn't had time to work on it....i run out of time.

I spend a looott of money, a lot of effort and a lot of time. I made all this effort in order not to take it 2 or 3 times that's why i prepared a lot. At the end it works for me as it was supposed to be.

Hope this help....let me know if i can further assist you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! This is great information. I really, really appreciate the time you took to put all this together. Thanks again!

Back