Environmental Regulations

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mnengr

Regarding environmental regulatory questions on the Env. PE exam, does anyone have any suggestions as to "essential" books and references to bring on exam day? If you have successfully found some of these references on the web, what websites were most helpful for you?

Thanks!

I took an Envl Law course as a senior in college. I used the Environmental Law Handbook. It was absolutely essential to me. It was slightly outdated by then but the big stuff is the same.

It gives a layman's explanation of the major statutes: CWA, CAA, RCRA, Superfund. I even saw a couple questions about TSCA and FIFRA during my prep which is covered in there as well.

For other regulatory stuff, I used the online CFR and downloaded sections of the laws directly. I also used fact sheets from EPA and state agencies.

You can find all the feeral regs on-line. But that doesn't help much, because they're huge. Check the epa website for the RCRA orientation manual, and the CERCLA orientation manual. I think I posted links in here somewhere. Those give good overviews of those two. And of the two, I'd concentrate on RCRA - especially on how to determine what a hazardous waste is.

If you can find someone with paper copies of the CFRs, that's the best way to get the regs. But I wouldn't worry about it too much. There are really just too many CFRs to practicably take with you, so it's best to just find a decent textbook type rerference that glosses over the most important parts. For me, the different books I used all contained enough information related to the regulations for that particular subject (water, air, haz waste, etc) that I was able to pass, although I did miss a question or two directly because I didn't have a particular federal regulation.

Maybe VTE's book will work well, I just don't know. Does it cover regulations in addition to just the statutes?

^ Yeah, it's pretty comprehensive. It covers the statutes and the regulations that fall under them to enforce the rules.

I'd concentrate on RCRA - especially on how to determine what a hazardous waste is.
Remember TRIC: Toxic, Reactive, Ignitable, Corrosive.

The RCRA and CERCLA orientation manuals are 250 pages and 170 pages each. Is it worth taking all of it with you? I will not have time to read any of it. I will get a copy of Environmental Law handbook. Would that suffice as far as regs go? Is there anything available online in a concise form on CWA, CAA, haz waste and CFRs? What parts of CFR are useful?

Many thanks.

The RCRA and CERCLA orientation manuals are 250 pages and 170 pages each. Is it worth taking all of it with you? I will not have time to read any of it. I will get a copy of Environmental Law handbook. Would that suffice as far as regs go?
It's not worth reading the statute verbatim. You need to know key points and definitions, as the 'spirit' of the law.

For example, what is considered a TSD facility under RCRA? What sites does CERCLA pertain to? A hazardous waste is defined by 40 CFR XYZ as...?

As for specific CFR sections, as you encounter references to them in your studies, download and print that section.

29 CFR - the OSHA sections, are also important.

The only books I brought were my Hazardous Waste Management (LeGrega) and the other board's book. I might have brought the RCRA regs as a maybe I'll get lucky and need this, but I am not sure.

What you need to bring really depends on what line of work you are in. I do mainly site cleanup and have a good handle on superfund and rcra so I wasn't as concerned. I didn't spend too much time studying. I felt most the the examples on the practice exam were general enough that 1) I knew the answer, or 2) I had developed a pretty good understanding of my references that I could find the answers quickly.

My general philosophy on studying is to not try to teach yourself something that you are a ground zero on. Instead, focus on the the areas you are 60% on and make sure you get those right. That is, I didn't spend anytime studying Rad stuff. I took a look at the "the other board" chapter to to get a feeling of layout, but didn't do any problems. Instead, I focused on the biological treatment which I was getting about 75% of the problems right.

I think you have a better chance of passing if you can take stuff you know but are shaky to 100% than to try and take topics from 0% to 50%.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ I would agree that trying to print out federal regulations would be onerous, at best.

I haven't taken the environmental exam but my thought is that while the questions may direct you to know what could be in particular locations (CFRs or laws), I wouldn't think that they would pick out picayune points within those locations.

Case in point - VTE's example: A hazardous waste is defined by 40 CFR 261. If you aren't intimately familiar with the provisions of the RCRA rules, you can tell by the subject line (e.g. 40 CFR 261 - Identification and Listing of Hazardous Waste). In the alternative, it will also be listed in the RCRA Orientation Manual.

:2cents:

JR

I think the Environmental Law Handbook is probably the way to go. As far as the EPA orientation manuals, even though they appear huge, most of the important stuff is in the first few chapters, so you don't need to read everything. A lot of every federal law is related to state programs and funding stuff, and you won't be tested on that stuff, but EPA wants to make sure it's all covered in the manuals.

Again, I think VTE's ont he right track with the Envir Law handbook. If you've got that, I wouldn't worry about the rest.

Back