Environmental PE Exam Format

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VGAC

Reaction score
I have heard conflicting views on the format on the format of the Enviro PE exams. A few P.E.s have told me that both morning and afternoon sessions contain questions from all topics (Air, Water, Wastewater, EHS, etc).

I have also been told by a few that morning session is primarily devoted to Wastewater and Air questions, and the afternoon session will contain EHS, MSW, etc.

This is some vital information being left out of the NCEES website. Can any of the recent test takers please shed some light on this.

Appreciate your inputs. Thanks!

I don't know the answer, but I'm curious as to why it matters? either way you have to answer the same questions, right? Not being a smart-ass, I'm really curious.

If I recall, and it's been a while (3.5 yrs), it loosely follows the syllabus on the NCEES website. Which is not to say certain concepts may not show up several times.

Let's say you're asked to treat water for Chemical X in the water/ww section. That doesn't mean there won't be another question later about exposure to Chemical X in the public health section.

That make sense?

I don't know the answer, but I'm curious as to why it matters? either way you have to answer the same questions, right? Not being a smart-ass, I'm really curious.
My feeling is that it is easier to get into a groove if you go topic by topic because you can get into that mindset and focus. As opposed to randomly going from a peak runoff problem to a landfill problem. But that's just how I tick.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I recall, and it's been a while (3.5 yrs), it loosely follows the syllabus on the NCEES website. Which is not to say certain concepts may not show up several times.
Let's say you're asked to treat water for Chemical X in the water/ww section. That doesn't mean there won't be another question later about exposure to Chemical X in the public health section.

That make sense?

My feeling is that it is easier to get into a groove if you go topic by topic because you can get into that mindset and focus. As opposed to randomly going from a peak runoff problem to a landfill problem. But that's just how I tick.
Agree 100%.

Additionally, My question was in reference to "Breadth" and "Depth" sections (as in PE Civil Exams). The level of difficulty typically goes up a couple of notches on the "Depth"section. Based on the NCEES website, PE Enviro does not have such a classification. So the level of difficuly does not necessarily increase during the after noon session ? Right ?

Agree 100%. Additionally, My question was in reference to "Breadth" and "Depth" sections (as in PE Civil Exams). The level of difficulty typically goes up a couple of notches on the "Depth"section. Based on the NCEES website, PE Enviro does not have such a classification. So the level of difficuly does not necessarily increase during the after noon session ? Right ?
You are correct, in a sense. There is not a 'focus' area that you are expected to have more knowledge in (transportation, geotech, structural, etc). So the difficulty of the questions is the same morning and afternoon. The challenge with the Environmental PE Exam is the 'breadth' of subjects one is expected to know.

It's been 3 years now since I took the exam, so maybe things have changed, but the exam then was most definitely broken up into water-air in the morning, and solid waste/haz waste/misc. stuff in the afternoon. No bleed-over of topics, and no perceived difference in difficulty.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been 3 years now since I took the exam, so maybe things have changed, but the exam then was most definitely broken up into water-air in the morning, and solid waste/haz waste/misc. stuff in the afternoon. No bleed-over of topics, and no perceived difference in difficulty.
Appreciate members like you hanging out (three years after getting the PE !!) and helping out current candidates. Thanks a lot.

The passing rate for Enviro Exam is ~75%. Thats a pretty high number (more than 7 out of 10 who take the exam pass). That does not keep me from

freaking out about the exam. What do you guys think are the top two reasons people don't make it the first time around ?

Appreciate members like you hanging out (three years after getting the PE !!) and helping out current candidates. Thanks a lot.
I'm a long hanging member myself.

I've posted this before, but here are my thoughts one why people don't pass.

1. Didn't study for long enough - I don't care what anyone says, you can't pass that thing cold.

2. Didn't study effectively enough - Didn't cover all the topics, goofed off when studying, etc.

3. Don't have the aptitude to pass - It's a hard test! It's not for everyone. If it were, every person in the office would have a PE in this or that.

Don't worry about failing and retaking it at this point, focus on the task at hand. The second guessing and soul crushing sense of dread comes after the fact.

I'm a long hanging member myself.
I've posted this before, but here are my thoughts one why people don't pass.

1. Didn't study for long enough - I don't care what anyone says, you can't pass that thing cold.

2. Didn't study effectively enough - Didn't cover all the topics, goofed off when studying, etc.

3. Don't have the aptitude to pass - It's a hard test! It's not for everyone. If it were, every person in the office would have a PE in this or that.

Don't worry about failing and retaking it at this point, focus on the task at hand. The second guessing and soul crushing sense of dread comes after the fact.
VGAC, it took me 3 times to pass this SOB test! So if you don't do it this time, do NOT get discouraged. Look at it that you have a better understanding of what to expect. I agree with VTE about the reasons people don't pass. On my first attempt, I fell into reason #2. I did a ton of problems, but was not absorbing/understanding what I was doing. The second time, I was building a deck during the summer, and fell into reason #1. I started studying about a 3 weeks out...not nearly enough time. The third (and final) time, I made it known that the summer/early fall were dedicated to me knocking this thing out, and that worked for me. Good luck in 9 days! Stick around to kill the waiting time for results.

I agree with VTEnviro. I passed it, first attempt, because I made a decision that there was no way in hell I wanted to go through that again, so I studied my ass off and lived, ate, and breathed engineering for 3 months prior to the test.

Here are my :2cents: on a couple of items discussed in this topic:

Format - As an April 2009 testee, I remember the format as generally as the following-

Morning: Wastewater, Water / Water Resources, Ambient Air, Source Control

Afternoon: Source Control (again) Solid Waste, Haz Waste / Fate & Transport, H&S

I passed on the first try as well and like Dleg my motivation was to never have to go through the tortuous process again. A lot of study hours (probably 300+ or so) but I think quality of study is far more important than quantity (Although a higher quantity of quality hours definitely improves your chances). The real agony of the process is yet to come for the first time fall testees - the wait after the exam. Because of the shear breadth of this exam there are probably few people that leave thinking that they easily nailed it. But just remember pass or fail - if you've put in some quality time you'll be a better engineer for it. I sure feel as if I'm more efficient and effective after going through the process. For example, I've found myself able to quickly make calcs on the spot in meetings that I would previously have to look up - now that a lot of this stuff has been etched into my brain.

Here are my :2cents: on a couple of items discussed in this topic:
Format - As an April 2009 testee, I remember the format as generally as the following-

Morning: Wastewater, Water / Water Resources, Ambient Air, Source Control

Afternoon: Source Control (again) Solid Waste, Haz Waste / Fate & Transport, H&S

I passed on the first try as well and like Dleg my motivation was to never have to go through the tortuous process again. A lot of study hours (probably 300+ or so) but I think quality of study is far more important than quantity (Although a higher quantity of quality hours definitely improves your chances). The real agony of the process is yet to come for the first time fall testees - the wait after the exam. Because of the shear breadth of this exam there are probably few people that leave thinking that they easily nailed it. But just remember pass or fail - if you've put in some quality time you'll be a better engineer for it. I sure feel as if I'm more efficient and effective after going through the process. For example, I've found myself able to quickly make calcs on the spot in meetings that I would previously have to look up - now that a lot of this stuff has been etched into my brain.
My sincere thanks to all the P.Es for their advice and encouragement. Hopefully, I will have something positive to report in a week. Best wishes to fellow test takers......

Back