ENVIRONMENTAL - Morning

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some GW probs, but also need more.

Is changing some numbers around enough to make it ok to post a question published elsewhere? Or, can I just scan them and post them?

-GT

Ok

Determing permeability of an artesian aquifer being pumped by a fully penetrating well. The aquifer is composed of medium sand and is 90 ft thick. The steady-state pumping rate is 850 gpm. The drawdown of an observation well 50 ft away is 10 ft and the drawdown in a second observation well 500 ft away is 1 ft.

That one is either the Theis equation or the Thiem equation. Either of which would be in a standard groundwater text.

The one I used was "Applied Hydrogeology" by Fetter. Really good book.

What DO concentration (range) is required in a stream to support a fish population?

Find it in the CERM.

-GT

for a large fish population DO should be around 6 mg/L. Just reviewed this part last night.

4-6 mg/L

Not a tough one, but a good exercise to find that info in the CERM.

-GT

Population Equivalent:

P1000, eq = (BOD mg/L * Q ft/sec* 8.34 mg-L/MGD-sec )/(1000*10^6)

Please explain where 8.34 comes from? I know it is due to unit conversion. But I can't seem get that. Thanks.

4-6 mg/LNot a tough one, but a good exercise to find that info in the CERM.

-GT
Thanks, I see your status changed to Junior Engineer now. Did it come with a raise? :thumbsup:

I smell a Streeter-Phelps DO sag curve on the way.
Morning or Afternoon? I will remember that example, that is pretty much what I do with Environmental, I don't really understand it even after read it over and over.

The whole S-P curve and related problems conceptually make sense if you think about them. It's just that the equations are so awkward that it's easy to screw up the calcs.
I agree, it is cumbersome. Okay, here is a question about that long equation for Dt and tv. The log 10 base term, the book said if Kd or Kr was given in e-base, change the log 10 to ln in the equation, everthing else stays the same. Did I understand this correct?

Back