Engineering Econ

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_NC

Reaction score
I notice on note # 1 of the NCEES outline a comment on engineering economics. Is this something that would typically show up in the PM and take the shape of a equipment cost type question? Or is it more geared for an AM type question? The second part of that is if the review in the CERM is adequate or if anyone has a book that would recommend. I would assume with a descent grasp on those, it would be a good place to pick up some relatively easy points. Any help or advice would be great. I noticed some sample problems in the NCEES sample test book about equipment productivity, I guess that kills two birds with one stone.. ?

Mike

There is a possibility it will show up in either.

The CERM was adequate for me when I took the test. I wouldn't fret too much though, I think there are much better ways to spend time studying then trying to figure out the answer to 1 question on the test. Look over the chapter and get a feel for it, & that should be sufficient.

I'd expect it on both- but much more in depth in the PM portion. I found the Rawan book helpful for the PM. I thought that the CERM gave a great outline, but it lacked a good explanation of cost/ benefit analysis and some of the more construction oriented breakdowns that would help you define immediate/ annual/ and increasing costs.

I also used an old college text book Engineering Economic Analysis. It covers more material than you'll need for the exam but I thought I was prepared for the econ questions on the exam. Good luck.

I'd recommend a Plant Design book. My college plant design book worked well, especially the glossary for terms in the question I was totally unfamiliar with.

The econ questions in the PM go into great detail, it take quite a bit of indepth knowledge to put together an approach to solve the problems, there will be several not just one. I found the CERM not adequate for the afternoon, Ruwan helped but still lacked detail.

I guess i should have noted that I took Structural.. I guess construction focuses more on econ than structural (which makes sense).

For the structural PM, i found CERM adequate.

Be prepared for quite a bit of econ in the afternoon construction module, Ruwan does a good job of covering they types of problems which can be engineering econ (present value ..etc) and cost of construction (crews and materials). He does not go into the detail you will need for the test so get to know the concepts really well.

Back