Engineering dictionary, has anyone actually needed it?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bph

Research Engineer
Reaction score
So here is a question, can anyone provide me with a single instance of someone using one of these for the purpose of studying for the ME PE exam?

Can anyone point to a single sample problem in any of the NCEES sample exams, MERM practice problems, MERM practice exam, Six minute solutions (all three sets for ME) or any other ME PE sample questions that would require a engineering dictionary, and the term in not in the standard set of tech references you would bring? These sample problems mentioned are likely over 1000 in number, you would think there should be at least a single example of the need for a dictionary?

Just curious,

BPH

So here is a question, can anyone provide me with a single instance of someone using one of these for the purpose of studying for the ME PE exam?
Can anyone point to a single sample problem in any of the NCEES sample exams, MERM practice problems, MERM practice exam, Six minute solutions (all three sets for ME) or any other ME PE sample questions that would require a engineering dictionary, and the term in not in the standard set of tech references you would bring? These sample problems mentioned are likely over 1000 in number, you would think there should be at least a single example of the need for a dictionary?

Just curious,

BPH
I have never needed it, but I could have used it a couple of times.

I don't remember where it came up in my study, but I had a question that asked about bonderizing. I think I found it in my MD book. It really turned out to be somewhat unimportant, but I could have used the dictionary.

one of the guys I worked with was glad he had it at the test. He was able to answer a question or two using it.

I think I mentioned in another thread that is totally useless. I have even tried just flipping through to find definitions that I was not familiar with. This yielded nothing of interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I mentioned in another thread that is totally useless. I have even tried just flipping through to find definitions that I was not familiar with. This yielded nothing of interest.
I agree with the dude, it's useless for the ME PE exam. And useless after that, because the web is so much better.

I wanted to start a thread to see if anyone could come up with ANY problem they have encountered while studying for the ME PE exam. This board represents 10's of thousands of hours of studying and above I have a list of common exam prep questions, representing over 1000 problems that many people on this board have worked, and ask for a single example of how it would be needed in addition to your standard references.

Can anyone give one single specific example?

-BPH

[quote name='D. Kephart' date='May 6 2009, 12:34 PM' post='6719460'

...I don't remember where it came up in my study, but I had a question that asked about bonderizing. I think I found it in my MD book. It really turned out to be somewhat unimportant, but I could have used the dictionary.

one of the guys I worked with was glad he had it at the test. He was able to answer a question or two using it.
I think this is an urban legend, or engineering legend.

I can't imagine that there would be a term that was in an engineering dictionary but not in the standard set of references (or at least the ones I used).

Keep up the good work, but still looking for one single example of how an engineering dictionary would help in the ME PE exam?

-BPH

Will it help? Maybe, but likely won't be needed if you bring sufficient resources. Will it hurt? Definitely not, unless you leave a loose piece of paper in it and it falls out during the exam, causing you to be removed from the room.

I had one for the Mechanical PE in April 2008. I don't think I found any answers in it, but may have scoured the pages one or two times looking for one of the off the wall answers. There were at least a couple questions asked that I would deem off the wall, where my only strategy was to scour the index of every book that I had. I think I eventually found something similar to what was being asked in the Mark's handbook.

Bottom line, it won't hurt having one. If you can get one for a reasonable price, then go ahead. If you have all the basic resources (MERM, NCEES, Six-Minute, Mark's, Machinery's, etc) then it's unlikely there would be anything in the dictionary that wasn't in one of these.

I was to cheap to buy the engineering dictionary, so instead i just brought a regular old dictionary (that's how i role).

There were two specific times that i had to crack open the book and look things up (although one was on the CA specific seismic exam).

I think it's good to bring something just incase you have extra time and need to look up a word or two to understand the question. Although i don't know if it's worth 100$.

... Bottom line, it won't hurt having one.
I agree.

But the actual exam only has 80 problems, and lots of people said they had a friend or they used in on a problem or two, so out of the 1000 or so questions in the MERM pratice problems, NCEES exams x 2, Six minutes solutions X 3 and any other ME PE sample problems.......

Can anyone show me a single problem that it would be needed?

-BPH

I think this is an urban legend, or engineering legend. I can't imagine that there would be a term that was in an engineering dictionary but not in the standard set of references (or at least the ones I used).

Keep up the good work, but still looking for one single example of how an engineering dictionary would help in the ME PE exam?

-BPH
I used one during my test (EE - October 2005). I had a lot of references, most of which I didn't use at all, including my EERM. But I found the definition of one term in my dictionary which allowed me to answer a question. I checked later and it wasn't in any of my other references. Obviously, I can't go into more detail, and I'd suggest you quit asking for specific examples off an exam. Believe me, I remember the term distinctly, and I could tell you, but I'm not going there.

The bottom line is you don't NEED any book. If you choose to take an engineering dictionary, it might help you.

I brought 2 engineering dictionaries to the exam :tardbang: and I NEEDED one of 'em! The useless one was McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Engineering, BTW.

I used one during my test (EE - October 2005). I had a lot of references, most of which I didn't use at all, including my EERM. But I found the definition of one term in my dictionary which allowed me to answer a question. I checked later and it wasn't in any of my other references. Obviously, I can't go into more detail, and I'd suggest you quit asking for specific examples off an exam. Believe me, I remember the term distinctly, and I could tell you, but I'm not going there.

I believe he specifically asked if any one had ever needed it during their "study" in the first post, that is what I was responding to.

Just curious,

BPH
I think the awnser really would vary from person to person... If I were totally unfamiliar with engineering jargon, but was studying for the test (I realize this raises other questions), having a centralized reference that will be more comprehensive than the combined golssaries and indicies of all my other references (which it arguably may be) would be very helpful.

here's one: Hermaphrodite caliper

if that came up while studying or on the exam, once I finished giggling, I would have to look it up.

I believe he specifically asked if any one had ever needed it during their "study" in the first post, that is what I was responding to.
Yes, it looks like I inferred something he did not ask until later. He question morphed a bit during the discussion, and I suspect he thinks it is useless as an exam reference as well, but I could be wrong. I infer that from these statements:

and the term in not in the standard set of tech references you would bring?

I think this is an urban legend, or engineering legend.

I can't imagine that there would be a term that was in an engineering dictionary but not in the standard set of references (or at least the ones I used).

You are not likely to use it studying, because by definition all the books you mentioned explain most of the terms contained in them to one degree or another. But that isn't necessarily the case for the exam, where I found it a useful reference.

I think the awnser really would vary from person to person... If I were totally unfamiliar with engineering jargon, but was studying for the test (I realize this raises other questions), having a centralized reference that will be more comprehensive than the combined golssaries and indicies of all my other references (which it arguably may be) would be very helpful.

here's one: Hermaphrodite caliper

if that came up while studying or on the exam, once I finished giggling, I would have to look it up.
Exactly. Without going into detail, the question I was asked referred to a phenomenon I was very familiar with, but called it by a completely different name that I had never heard before.

I just tested in April 09 and there was one problem that i think an ENGINEERING dictionary would have helped me answer. I poured through all the resources i had (a considerable amount of material), trying to define a word they were using but it was not to be found. It may not have been in the dictionary but then again...

Back