Engin Econ - NCEES problem 102 and CD

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

shellbell500

can anyone help me with what i'm doing wrong here? for problem 102, i thought it was easier to just treat each payment as a single event, and use P/F factors for each year to find the present worth of the future payments. when i did this for problem 102, i got the answer right (50K + 10K*.9091 + 60K*.8264 + 20K*.7513 + 20K*.683 = approx. $137,000, answer C).

the problem on the CD that comes with the book is identical with different numbers, but i am not getting the right answer with the same logic. so is my logic flawed and i got lucky on problem 102?

please help! thanks! (p.s. love those emoticons!!!)

:multiplespotting:

You're not doing anything wrong. The CD has an error on it. Check NCEES' errata here.

Your logic is perfectly fine. They use P/A factors in the solution which simplifies the calculations a bit, but you should use whatever makes sense to you.

There is an errata out on the CD problem. The method for the problem in the book is correct. I think there is another thread out there for this one also.

Jim

There is an errata out on the CD problem. The method for the problem in the book is correct. I think there is another thread out there for this one also.
Jim
Thank you both! gives me a little peace of mind... (a little!)

Back