End of an era...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark Knight

Silent Guardian
Reaction score
Did see the last launch of a space shuttle...kind of sad...kind of history...

IMG_9234A.jpg

I heard on NPR this AM that there are only 4 astronauts on board, b/c they don't have any other shuttles for a rescue mission, if needed. If there is a problem, the shuttle will dock at the International Space Station and get a ride back with the russkies.

The chances for the launch to happen were only 30%. In the words of the immortal Han Solo...Never tell me the odds.

Here is another one...

IMG_9240.jpg

It is sad that it is an end of an era. I have had the privilege of visiting the facility in Jupiter, Florida where the rocket engines were designed, constructed, and tested. Once it was very impressive hosting a staff of nearly 10,000 employees - today that staff is on the order of 100s. It is hard to see how once we reached to the stars in wonder and amazement and then suddenly crash upon the shoals of reality due to one budget crisis after crisis.

Thank you space program for inspiring ... mebbe someday you will be able to do it again.

JR

Last edited:
Awesome pics , I kind of wished I would have driven down to see it:(
Ditto. As I believe Snickerd said, I love space and everything related. =)
I thought about going. My brother is works there and was onsite for the launch. The problem was the unpredictability of the launch. These things get delayed regularly and I didn't have time to do a week long trip or anything. So it would kind of be going down there just for the launch. A launch that had a pretty decent chance of being delayed and then I'd miss it anyway. :(

A friend of mine works at the Cape. He took Friday off because he heard the traffic was going to be horrendous.

I heard on NPR this AM that there are only 4 astronauts on board, b/c they don't have any other shuttles for a rescue mission, if needed. If there is a problem, the shuttle will dock at the International Space Station and get a ride back with the russkies.
Not only that, it'd take them a year to get all four back. AND that's all they had surplus supplies on the ISS to handle.

listen, this country has more important priorities. such as extending the unemplyoment another 12 months. and fighting global warming.

Get it right. It's "climate change" since "global warming" was busted. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
listen, this country has more important priorities. such as extending the unemplyoment another 12 months. and fighting global warming.
Now, now. Remember, NASA's new priorities are:

1) Outreach to Muslims

2) Study Climate Change

3) Examine Toyota engine control software for the cause of sudden unintended acceleration

Back