Electrical & Electronics HELP! Communications and EM

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electricaltx35

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

It looks like most everyone who is taking the electrical PE is doing the power option, but for those who are doing the Electrical and Electronics option, what are you using to study Communications and EM?

I stuggled with these subjects in school and have been studying from my old textbooks, Schaum's, and the EERM, but it's not working well. Can anyone recommend good books for these? I'm not ashamed to admit I have to re-learn this stuff. I haven't used any of it since college.

THANK YOU

I'm also a Electronics guy. Just wondering if you passed. I failed for the second time. I need to find some major help. Not much if anything out there for Electronics review courses.

Hey everyone,
It looks like most everyone who is taking the electrical PE is doing the power option, but for those who are doing the Electrical and Electronics option, what are you using to study Communications and EM?

I stuggled with these subjects in school and have been studying from my old textbooks, Schaum's, and the EERM, but it's not working well. Can anyone recommend good books for these? I'm not ashamed to admit I have to re-learn this stuff. I haven't used any of it since college.

THANK YOU
I'm not sure what to tell you other than the EERM. I did use Wikipedia for Transmission line theory, though. I walked into the exam room clueless about antennae; there are simply no good books on it and the EERM pretty much only covers dipole antennae. Like you I don't work in the RF industry. A good book as a reference is the ARRL handbook; I'm glad I brought it with me. As far as EM, honestly, don't spend much time there as it doesn't constitute much of the exam and I can't imagine NCEES would make examinees solve complex integrals for Gauss' law. Focus on circuit analysis, electronics, controls, satellite communications (e.g. transmit power, received power), and basic transmission line theory as they comprise the bulk of the syllabus.

Hey everyone,

THANK YOU
Someone asked a similar questions in another thread, but I'll post it here for you to see too.

I took the electronics for the first time and passed. What I did was:

1) Buy the NCEES sample exam booklet

2) Bought a bunch of Schaum's Outlines (Electronic Devices and Circuit, Basic Circuit Analysis, Analog and Digital Communications, Digital Signal Processing, Signals and Systems, and Electric Circuits)

3) Bought Electrical Engineering Handbook (Schmidt-Walter-Kories)

4) Textbooks from college

5) Sample test from Kaiser

I started studying in late May, with the NCEES exam. I went through each problem, remembering almost nothing from my basic EE classes. I used the test questions as a guide to research the texts to relearn the basics. From there I worked to the Kaiser test, then I found my local library had the Camera and Kaplan Sample Exams. I worked through all of these, using my texts as references. About early October all I did was rework the tests so I knew the basic concepts they were presenting fairly well. I also marked my references as I went, which made it much easier during the test.

I think the biggest part is knowing your references and having the basic concepts down.

Back