Electric Machines

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharon

Reaction score
Would some brave soul like to give me the basics when it comes to Electric Machines? I am not a Power Engineer but am taking the Power PE for the second time. I have a real mental block when it comes to the machines problems. I am using the EERM by Camara and working through those problems. Is there a basic process or standard approach to these problems? Do I really have to understand the fundamental difference in operation of synchronous motors vs. induction motors and series-wired vs. shunt-wired DC machines?? And losses.....losses.....ohhhhh lossess. Anybody have any hints/tricks that will help simplify these problems. Where are you machines gurus? Come forth and HELP ME!!! Thanks...Sharon

Would some brave soul like to give me the basics when it comes to Electric Machines? I am not a Power Engineer but am taking the Power PE for the second time. I have a real mental block when it comes to the machines problems. I am using the EERM by Camara and working through those problems. Is there a basic process or standard approach to these problems? Do I really have to understand the fundamental difference in operation of synchronous motors vs. induction motors and series-wired vs. shunt-wired DC machines?? And losses.....losses.....ohhhhh lossess. Anybody have any hints/tricks that will help simplify these problems. Where are you machines gurus? Come forth and HELP ME!!! Thanks...Sharon
I am not a real expert but, If you are just trying to pass PE, I don't recommend Camara's book. It is too detailed.

Basically, you should know the basic concept of efficiency, power factor, torque calculations and other basic concepts like slip in non-synchronous machines. You should also know how to calculate mechanical speed knowing the electrical speed, number of poles and slip (in induction motors). Also, the torque-speed characteristics of different DC motors.

If you have any specific question let me know and I'll see if I can help.

I am not a real expert but, If you are just trying to pass PE, I don't recommend Camara's book. It is too detailed.

Basically, you should know the basic concept of efficiency, power factor, torque calculations and other basic concepts like slip in non-synchronous machines. You should also know how to calculate mechanical speed knowing the electrical speed, number of poles and slip (in induction motors). Also, the torque-speed characteristics of different DC motors.

If you have any specific question let me know and I'll see if I can help.
Thank You. Questions will be forthcoming. :sucks:

I'm not really familiar with Camara's text but would recommend getting a copy of Prof. Wildi's text even if you just borrow from a technical library. It skips much of the math and just gets down to nuts and bolts.

I have a book, Electric Machinery Fundamentals by Steven J. Chapman. If there was the MVB Award for the most used book in the PE test, that one will be mine. I used it several times during the test and still use it now that I am trying graduate school.

I have the second edition but I have heard that there is a fourth one around. Not sure about this one. If you can get that book do it.

Good luck!!!!!

+1 for the Chapman book. I picked up a copy of this when I first took the exam this past April. I believe the one I have is the 4th edition. A lot of good basic information in it. As far as fundamentals go with electric machines, I would also suggest as a reference, "Electrical Machines, Drives & Power Systems" by Theodore Wildi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back