EB Hashers - Terrible accident on my local Hash run (if you don't know what that is, read on)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dleg

Spammer Emeritus
Reaction score
On on! (that's what Hashers call out when they're on trail, also a general greeting for correspondence such as this)

I have heard that there are other Hashers here in EB, but not sure who. I have been a long-time Hash runner, for over 20 years now. My EB tag is actually a contraction of my Hash handle.

For those who have no idea what the hell I am talking about, or think I am talking about drugs, I am not. The Hash House Harriers is an international running club, very loosely organized, with thousands of groups or "kennels" spread throughout the world and the U.S. Although every Hash is different, the basics involve a run, usually off-road, where the "hounds" chase after the "hares", followed by some sort of gathering centered on the quenching of thirst with beer, and the telling of stories and jokes at each other's expense. It's all in good fun, and people who run regularly are given Hash names (or handles) as a sign of respect and belonging with the group. If you've never run one, I highly recommend it. You can usually walk most Hash runs, and they are a great motivator for staying fit.

This weekend my Home Hash, the Saipan Hash House Harriers, located in the U.S. Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, had a terrible accident. Here's a link to a local newspaper article from today, which is more or less accurate:

http://www.saipantribune.com/index.php/boulder-traps-hasher-for-6-hours/

And a link to a gofundme site to raise money for the two most injured guys:

https://www.gofundme.com/n57byc98

If you are a Hasher, or not a Hasher, and you feel so inclined, please think about throwing a little money into the fund because these guys are going to need it. And if you are a Hasher, please also think about sharing the link with your kennel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dleg, that is a horrific story. I will post the link on Boston H3's FB page.

Been a hasher for 13 years. This is about the worst thing I've heard.

onon

Holy crap man, that is terrible. To think you could've been one of the ones affected.

I hope everything turns out alright for the two guys.

Thanks - good to know you're a hasher, too, power-engineer!

I was very likely in position to be the one under the boulder when I decided to turn around. I crossed back under it, too, on my way out. But none of that has really struck me, the trauma to the other two guys is just so overpowering.

Could have been any one of you. Scary. I think about these things when i'm backpacking in the mountains but not so much on trail.

The hash did well helping them get out of there.

Thanks to all those who donated - we raised over $7,500 for these guys.

A quick update: the guy who had the compound fracture, hit by a glancing blow, was discharged a week ago and is recovering at his girlfriend's home. He ended up with a plate and 14 screws in his femur, just above the knee. Despite his earlier version of the event, the end of his femur did not pop out of the knee, so the joint is still intact and believed to be undamaged, so his prognosis is for an eventual, full recovery (back to running).

The Chinese guy, whose legs were crushed under the boulder has had a more difficult two weeks. He ended up with only one fracture, in his left femur (repaired with a rod), but massive muscle tissue damage due to the crush injury and subsequent compartment syndrome. He has gone through four surgeries now to repair the bone and begin to close up the compartment syndrome incisions, but may need a skin graft to finish that process. He went through a period of about a week with reduced mental state, seeming confused and out of his mind. It was pretty worrisome. This may have been a result of all the waste products in his bloodstream from the muscle deterioration. Fortunately it does not appear this resulted in any serious kidney damage, and he's been back to a normal state of mind for the past 2 days. Yesterday he took his first 5 steps, using a walker. So he will at least be able to walk, although it will take some time. I'm guessing he will eventually make a full recovery.

The money raised will be very beneficial to both of these guys, and the Chinese guy, especially, appreciates the attention and love he's gotten from all over, since he has no close friends or family here.

Back