Earthquake!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akwooly

Has gone PRO
Reaction score
We had a significant earthquake in AK! 6.7 is what they are reporting right now.  Happened close to Anchorage our biggest city. I am safe as the epicenter is about 250 miles away from me but there are tsunami warnings and damage reports are still coming in. 

FE5E6812-1DCE-4691-BF40-2B6B709895BA.jpeg

Wat? There are no polar bears running wild in the street up there???

In all seriousness, glad you're ok AK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mrs Bly and I are safe as well (we're out of the country); but waiting to hear from our neighbors for any visual exterior damage.  The house is about 35 miles from the epicenter and the highway within 5 miles of home has several sink holes and the bridges are currently closed due to "stress cracking".  We're expecting interior damage from fallen debris, but shouldn't be too serious (spilled red wine on hardwood flooring is a known potential). 

With the highway and airport closed, we may be stuck out here longer than anticipated.  We've got good neighbors that are checking up on things for us.

Truck was parked under a canopy at one of the parking lots, so we won't know if it's been damaged or not until we get back.

Will report back when I know more.

Initial quake was approximately 0830, 5.8 aftershock was around 0900; possibly sooner.

From reports received from the neighbors, no external damage to our homes. We didn't lose power, but almost everyone had their cupboards get emptied. One neighbor walked around the house, no cracked / broken windows, no gas leaks and the furnace was still running. Only way he could tell there was an earthquake was an old burn barrel rolled a few inches in the bed of one trailer.

e3e1c0125fc54a9e7030e50b94be4bd0.jpg

damn!  Are these just "regular" folks photos?

Hope all is ok and not too much beer was lost! (or actually important stuff)

Yes, a lot of these pics are  friends sharing their pics on FB.

Latest posts

Back