Dr. Tom's Classroom (Mechanical PE Review)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SNAPE/SMOTT PE

Wait, what?
Reaction score
Anyone go through his course? Seems like he reviews AM and PM (for MD and TFS). Thoughts? Was it good prep?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just passed (first try) thermal fluids after taking Dr. Tom's 20-week review.  Great course, really helps focus your effort, highly recommend.  

I know you've already taken the exam, so this comment is for anyone who might see it later; I had Dr. Tom (Brown) in undergrad for both Statics and Dynamics. He's really the person who helped me stay in engineering, when I thought it wasn't for me. He really showed me that any problem can be tackled, and you don't have to be a genius to do it. That was hard to find in engineering school. I felt as though most professors taught at a level that they knew was ever so slightly unachievable without a stressful, enormous, frustrating effort. Dr. Brown, on the other hand, stated from the very beginning that if you put in the work, do the homework and come to class you CAN make an A or B. It won't be easy, you'll have to do extra, but he isn't going to set you up to fail either. He also prayed for us. Whether you believe in God or not, it's remarkable how it feels to know someone wants you to succeed. I start my PE review with DTC at the end of the month. I know he will approach this class with the same spirit.

Thanks for the input Ray! I'm late responding, but I definitely loved his course. He is awesome, and I can only imagine how great it was to have him as a professor!

I just PASSED the HVAC/Refrigeration exam after taking Dr. Tom's Classroom review course - this was my experience.

- I graduated in CIVIL ENGINEERING (Environmental/Water Resources) and I am an "Energy" Engineer, so I deal with ALL TYPES of mechanical systems: chillers, boilers, air compressors, conveyors, lighting, HVAC... whatever. So since I didn't specialize in ANYTHING, but knew a bit of EVERYTHING, I decided to take the Thermo/Fluids exam.

- THEN THEY CHANGED THE EXAM WITH NO NOTICE. After reviewing the new specs, they'd dropped the "General" AM section and the PM was almost ALL Thermo II and Heat Transfer, the only two subjects I didn't take in college, so I changed to HVAC/Refrigeration.

- I continued on Dr. Tom's method, but SKIPPED Thermo II sections, since they're not on the HVAC/Ref Exam.

- I purchased ($35) Engineer Pro Guides Review Book and Practice Test ($35 - but didn't really need it, so I don't recommend) to cover the rest of the material.

- Purchased both NCEES Practice Exam & Six Minute Solutions

- Because of the teaching method, thoroughness of the review and organization of materials I HIGHLY ADVISE taking DTC, even if you're doing HVAC/Refrigeration, just get the supplemental materials and go through them to make sure you've covered EVERYTHING.

NOTICE: Engineer Pro Guides had quite a few typos and Errors, but so did the NCEES. Going though the sections, and working the problems, I simply emailed the author and he sent me corrections within 24 hours. On the other Hand, NCEES sent out their errata 2 weeks before the exam.  

Good luck to all in Oct 2017!

THEN THEY CHANGED THE EXAM WITH NO NOTICE.
The last exam to have all three modules (HVAC, T+F, Machine Design) in the morning exam was when I took it: October 2016.  They changed it afterwards, but I am pretty sure they announced the change well ahead of the April 2017 exam.  

Back