do you think civil pass rates are low?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm not sure i follow...i'm talking about the morning session, i.e. i've never done geotechnical work yet i'm taking a test on it. geotech, structural, water resources, etc. questions are not "looking up tables." and very little afternoon transpo is "looking up tables."
OK... I was teasing (any time you read the word "stormwater" on this board, there's a very good chance sarcasm is included!)... which I know, this time of year, isn't very nice.

Still, there's nothing in the morning section that can't be learned in a few weeks - for the most part, it's plug-and-chug once you understand the class of problem.

I think it's a good thing the morning section is diverse for Civil Engineers as you should be part jack-of-all-trades and a little master-of-some.

I agree the morning is all material every civil engineer should know. I actually enjoyed learning that part because I was able to refamilarize myself with some material I haven't seen in a long time that may help me one day. Never know when something out of the ordinary will pop up on a project.

I struggled with the PM though. As a site development guy there is not a module that relates to what I do on a daily basis. I had to pick one and run with it. I had to pick between construction or transporation and both of them were a lot of new material for me. It was nice in a way to learn something new but a real challenge at the same time. Some of the things I thought would be my "bread and butter" didn't even show up on the exam.

If I don't pass this go round I may pick another module just so I can learn more about it. At least I can expand my knowledge and get something out of it. I hate that its not a test of my job capability though as its intented. The afternoon for me was more of a test on how well I can take tests and how well I can teach myself new material since it does not relate in any way to my daily job functions. If it was easy though everyone would be a PE.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow... way to look at the test as a learning experience instead of one large hurdle blocking your path to the future...

I agree the morning is all material every civil engineer should know. I actually enjoyed learning that part because I was able to refamilarize myself with some material I haven't seen in a long time that may help me one day. Never know when something out of the ordinary will pop up on a project.
I struggled with the PM though. As a site development guy there is not a module that relates to what I do on a daily basis. I had to pick one and run with it. I had to pick between construction or transporation and both of them were a lot of new material for me. It was nice in a way to learn something new but a real challenge at the same time. Some of the things I thought would be my "bread and butter" didn't even show up on the exam.

If I don't pass this go round I may pick another module just so I can learn more about it. At least I can expand my knowledge and get something out of it. I hate that its not a test of my job capability though as its intented. The afternoon for me was more of a test on how well I can take tests and how well I can teach myself new material since it does not relate in any way to my daily job functions. If it was easy though everyone would be a PE.
I AGREE!! I do Land Development . . . so tell me . . WHICH AFTERNOON SECTION TO TAKE???? . . . .its ridiculous.

I was told last year by someone "Do Water Resources . . . . theres Stormwater in it!". . . so i looked at it. . . NOT!!

I do VERY LITTLE Highway design and almost NO Soils. . . . SO WHAT?!?!

I always kick butt in the morning . . . . but i really struggle with afternoon sections

My 2 cents on why Civil pass rate is lower than Mechanical and Electrical?

The Mechanical and Electrical PE is less critical for the profession as a whole. A lot of EE's work in High Tech/ Semi Conductor and have no need for it. Additionally a lot of ME's work in Machine Design and don't need a PE either.

If you are bad at taking tests or were never a really good student and want an easier path you would stick to these areas and never need to take the test.

Civil on the other hand you pretty much have to have the license or you are left out of a bunch of possible jobs, ie your career is more stalled than for the ME and EE.

What does this all mean? Way more Civil Eng. take the PE therefore a smaller percentage pass. Plus the ME and EE candidates are probably better test takers, because it they aren't good test takers in the first place they would migrate to jobs were a PE isn't needed. Plus I bet a lot fewer ME and EE will retake the test multiple times like Civils will.

I doubt very little that the material is significantly harder than what a EE has to know to pass or for that matter Thermodynamics/HVAC. I have seen some of the junk our EE's study to pass, it looks way more complicated than the Water/Transp. stuff the Civils are studying. But it is all just an opinion of a ME that works in a Consulting Office, so take it with a grain of salt.

The Mechanical and Electrical PE is less critical for the profession as a whole. A lot of EE's work in High Tech/ Semi Conductor and have no need for it. Additionally a lot of ME's work in Machine Design and don't need a PE either.

If you are bad at taking tests or were never a really good student and want an easier path you would stick to these areas and never need to take the test.

Civil on the other hand you pretty much have to have the license or you are left out of a bunch of possible jobs, ie your career is more stalled than for the ME and EE.

What does this all mean? Way more Civil Eng. take the PE therefore a smaller percentage pass. Plus the ME and EE candidates are probably better test takers, because it they aren't good test takers in the first place they would migrate to jobs were a PE isn't needed. Plus I bet a lot fewer ME and EE will retake the test multiple times like Civils will.

I doubt very little that the material is significantly harder than what a EE has to know to pass or for that matter Thermodynamics/HVAC. I have seen some of the junk our EE's study to pass, it looks way more complicated than the Water/Transp. stuff the Civils are studying. But it is all just an opinion of a ME that works in a Consulting Office, so take it with a grain of salt.

This theory does make a lot of sense. Never quite thought of it that way. Come to think about it most of the people I was taking the test with had civil books.

Thanks SPSU, I have been thinking about this for some time sitting around in the office.

I am assuming each Exam is probably on the average just as difficult as another. Because most have very specific knowledge to those areas. The main difference is need for the license.

[SIZE=14pt]Way too low, especially for structural exams.[/SIZE]

It's not fair!

The only reason I can think of for this is the contributors among us are the dumbest who are trying to make our own lives misserable. Y'all know what I'm talkin' about if you are a structural engineer. :bananapowerslide: [/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back