Diver Drowns when Scuba Boat Sinks...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
We went on this boat the last time we were in the Keys..

http://www.miamihera...om-sinking.html

I remember thinking this was an awfully small boat to be going out in sea several miles... that also didnt seem to run very well. at the time we thought it was nice not to be on a big dive boat full with 20-30 people, but after reading this I see that the USCG doesnt inspect the smaller boats so we will not be going out on the smaller boats anymore...

this is a pic of the boat as we were waiting to get back in...

http://img.photobuck...ravo/getwet.jpg

getwet.jpg

cant figure out if she tried to get something out of the small cabin after the boat started to sink or what, but a messed up story...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes! I bet that's kind of scary knowing that you'd been out on that very boat. I'm pretty certain you'd never catch me on a 25' boat that far from shore.

That was my first though, but the scuba tanks are usually stored in special holders so they can take the waves and also bungee corded so they don't fall out, the regulators are attached to them while they are in this position so it would take a calm person a minute or so to get them racy when the boat wasn't sinking and in calm seas.. It also sounds like this was jher first trip so I am sure she wasn't all that familiarj with the boat equipment. The owner of the scuba store is the guy in the blue short you see, he is retired navy, was a super nice guy but defin a small time operator..... I am sure he is gonna take a beating for not getting the boat inspected, I would think the boat and then the tanks, equipment, etc would be my first priority if I owned this type of business...

But yes it's very creepy knowing the boat sunk....

It must be fairly common though, the first time we went jot the keys we dove the eagle, and there was a sunken 30' fishing boat sitting on top of the USS Eagle... Verry odd sight. But the fishing captain had stern anchored to the mooring ball in this case and a big wave sunk that boat in about a minute... Wish I had my camera on that trip..

Back