Did anyone experience depression when...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McEngr

Reaction score
Did anyone experience depression after the exam? What I mean is, I feel confident that I passed, but I feel that my supervisor and the owners couldn't care less if I passed or not. I've probably made the mistake of taking this personal. They seem to not care about the fact that my future status equals my boss' status in a matter of months. I'm in my hole and no one seems to give a darn about my competence, but politics is a means of protection - I swear to God! I've only been with this company a year, and I swear that my well being/identity are hinging too much on the lack of respect I get around here.

I would just like to be recognized for once in my life! Is that asking too much?

Well... perhaps I just need counseling rather than trying to rant on these message boards. :p I just thought it to be "therapeutic" for others that are in the same boat. No recognition until the title comes, I guess...

McEngr:

I didn't experience depression, but a distinct sense of dissapointment.

Just preparing for and getting through the PE is a major accomplishment. Nobody who has not yet been through it can understand the sacrifice.

I think that is why it is so hard to wait for results. Damn it, you jumped through enough hoops just getting here, why do you need to wait 10 weeks for a SCAN TRON!

So I feel your pain, brother.

riedlipa

I was glad it was over, I already felt the depression from the last time..

I think I might have accidentally moved this and then moved it back, sorry about that.. to many windows open...

I think I might have accidentally moved this and then moved it back, sorry about that.. to many windows open...
Road Guy,

You seem like a good mod'. Thanks for clarifying.

Did anyone experience depression after the exam?
When I took the exam, the last thing I wanted to happen is to finish not knowing if I passed. Unfortunately that's exactly what happen. I left depressed knowing that my fate rests in the hands of NCEES and their cut score.

I felt a little shell shocked after the test. I worked really hard getting ready.

I am lucky that my current boss and co-workers actually have respect for people in general and have been very encouraging of me getting the PE.

My former co-workers at my last job did not seem to take any notice of the fact that I was getting close to being a PE. That place was dysfunctional in general, and almost a waste of time, as far as gaining experience.

^ I was pleasantly surprised by how big of a deal coworkers made of it when I passed mine. I was expecting maybe a handshake from my boss, but they sent out the news in a company wide email and I got congratulatory responses and calls from a bunch of folks.

At a bare minimum, I think someone should at least be recognized by other PE's with the firm, who know how hard it is to accomplish and the responsibility you then have once you've passed.

People at work joked about PE thing and how long have to wait to get the result. Oh well, I guess that is their way of showing they care. They also joked by saying " how are we going to call you, you have too many titles. " Things like this make the atmosphere a bit easy. The company I am with don't have too many engineers.

McEngr, I had to learn to relax, especially with a different cultural background. I found out if I relax, everyone else around me relax too. You will be surprised how much impact each individual has to the working environment.

Nice Snow Man

Last edited:
Back