December 21st, 2012

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DVINNY

2-time 10K winner
Reaction score
On Dec. 21, 2012, the earth, sun, etc. all line up in a straight line throughout the galaxy. Then we go round the other side.

It's the cosmic equivalent of the clock turning midnight with all the hands lined up. One theory I've heard is that the gravitational pull will reverse, and that magnets polarities will reverse.

The last time this happened it was no big deal, but in our electronic driven society of today, this will cause total mayhem.

^^^ That's just what I was told.......

thoughts?

whee.gif

Garmin will make a fortune selling updated maps for their GPS systems. Time to buy more stock.

I think there is really a strong 'selling' crowd for pusing the prophesies and so-called Nostradamus Effect; back-forecasting events based on observation to vague allusions to predicted events.

I am calling :BS: to the significance that has been attributed to the Winter Solstice 2012 - especially numerologists who have tried to attribute 'catastrophic' end of times from other prophesies by playing with numbers. While I respect the mayans ability to develop a calendar based on astronomical events and scales .... these are people who also believed in sacrificing people to appease their gods to promote their fortunes. While I believe there will be a rare event with the astronomical alignment during the winter solstice (December 21) in the year 2012 ... but I wouldn't ascribe it to a unique, catastrophic event.

My sentiments exactly ....

Garmin will make a fortune selling updated maps for their GPS systems. Time to buy more stock.
Interestingly, I was at a meeting with my local environmental regulator who was giving me crap about the accuracy of the Trimble GPS units we use to snap locations of monitoring points. He claimed that a number of the GPS satellites would be falling from the sky and there weren't any plans to replace said satellites - his claim was that reported accuracy would 'decay' as these satellites fall from orbit.

More nonesensical crazy talk IMHO!

JR

I don't believe anything this precise without a chart and an equation.

I'd like to start a company that would offer to buy people's homes for, say, a trip to Hawaii (or wherever) in December 2012. If they really believed the world would end at that time, why would they not go for it?

Interestingly, I was at a meeting with my local environmental regulator who was giving me crap about the accuracy of the Trimble GPS units we use to snap locations of monitoring points. He claimed that a number of the GPS satellites would be falling from the sky and there weren't any plans to replace said satellites - his claim was that reported accuracy would 'decay' as these satellites fall from orbit.
More nonesensical crazy talk IMHO!

JR
Aviation Geekniness Warning:

There is actually some basis behind his worry about the GPS satellites. It's not that they are "falling from the sky" though. It's just that a bunch of them are approaching end of life and the budget isn't there to replace them. They are predicting a loss of accuracy from this. The reason it concerns me is that the GPS in the plane is Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS) capable, which means it is accurate enough to allow precision instrument approaches. If the accuracy isn't there to support the WAAS receivers, the aviation community isn't going to be happy.

I think, for your case, you're correct in calling BS on the guy. Even with the worst predictions I've seen, it will still be plenty accurate for 2-dimensional locations. The aviation worry includes altitude with an update speed good enough to keep you from hitting a rock cloud.

I think the Mayans just ran out of rock to carve, so they quit. :p

I'm always amused by the folks that try to say that Nostradamus predicted so many things, but they only do this once something happens. If it was that clear, then why didn't anyone see it coming in the first place? It's kind of like the Bible Code that people have gotten into lately. They will pick messages out like a crossword puzzle and say that it's a prediction. I saw where somebody did the same thing from a Shakespeare play, so what does that tell you?

HighwayPE said:
Doesn't it make more sense for this catastrophic event to occur on 12/21/2112, I mean the numbers are just more aesthetic than 12/21/2012, there's that bothersome zero.
Using the aesthetic approach, the world should have ended 12/21/1221 in your example. But even more pleasing would be 11/11/1111.

Maybe the world DID end. Maybe none of us exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this mean I should hurry up and my Christmas shopping done for Christmas '12 before my usual mass shopping effort on 12/23???

Using the aesthetic approach, the world should have ended 12/21/1221 in your example. But even more pleasing would be 11/11/1111.
Maybe the world DID end. Maybe none of us exist.
That's deep man.

Does this mean I should hurry up and my Christmas shopping done for Christmas '12 before my usual mass shopping effort on 12/23???
The world is gonna end before 12/25, so the point is moot. Better spend that gift money on hookers and blow and go out in style.

Back