DC to NYC and back in a day?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csb

Reaction score
Say I wanted to take the train from DC to NYC, take in Times Square and some food and get back on the train to DC. Is it doable?

Amtrak is showing the train at about 3 hours each leg, for 6 hours total. Plus I'd get to see Baltimore and Philly!

Going straight between Union Station and Penn Station. If I spring for Acela Express, it's 2:45.

I haven't been to NYC since I was in fifth grade.

Acela can get expensive. Did you look at airfare? Flying might be competitive with the train.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm seeing DCA to JFK for $137 roundtrip. I believe DCA has a metro stop, not sure about the NYC end.

Last edited by a moderator:
The non-Acela route is $58/leg, but that adds about an hour. Acela is $100 more per leg. I like the train idea because, well, I like trains.

It's a crazy idea, but I'm not quite ready to give up on it.

I absolutely would do it! But then I also flew across the country to spend one day at Yosemite.

I personally wouldn't think $316 to sit on a train for 5 hours is worth it, but $137 for two hours on a plane is a steal. But I'm also a little biased because my experience with Amtrak is they are slow and unreliable. However, Acela is their crown jewel so hopefully service there is better.

definitely doable

Take the 4-5AM train then you get by 9 AM....and then take the late train back...you get most of the day time in NYC. Done it before!

Definitely doable. I've done Penn to Union Station on the Acela and back in one day. The train ride is pretty relaxing. The WiFi onboard was pretty reliable. I've taken regular Amtrak and it can be spotty but never had WiFi issues on the Acela.

What type of latrine facilities are available on the train? If I was going to take in some NYC food I am going to need some room to myself later (if you know what I mean) :)

All Amtrak that I've been on, regular and Acela, have bar cars and bathrooms that are very similar to those you would see on an airplane.

If you are going to fly keep in mind that it takes about an hour to get from the NYC airports to Manhattan via transit.

Latest posts

Back