Curb Cut capacity

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROBIAMEIT

Reaction score
Hey All

I am TRYING to find a solution to a roadway drainage problem and can not find the right equation or graph

I have a curb cut in a vertical curb that is feeding a swale. I need to make sure all the roadway drainage (100%) gets off the roadway before a certain point with no bypass. No curb depression, just a 3 ft. opening in the curb.

I have tried to use a weir equation but those dont seem to account for the slope of the road or the cross slope of the road section.

anyone have any ideas?

THANKS!!!

I know water flows downhill, so I would recommend putting anything you want to stay dry on the uphill side of things...

Wouldn't you be able to use the calcs for a concrete-lined ditch with a width/height of your curb cut and cross slope of of the roadway?

I'm not really a hydro-voodoo guy, but this makes sense to me.

Hey All
I am TRYING to find a solution to a roadway drainage problem and can not find the right equation or graph

I have a curb cut in a vertical curb that is feeding a swale. I need to make sure all the roadway drainage (100%) gets off the roadway before a certain point with no bypass. No curb depression, just a 3 ft. opening in the curb.

I have tried to use a weir equation but those dont seem to account for the slope of the road or the cross slope of the road section.

anyone have any ideas?

THANKS!!!
If you have access to hydroflow storm sewers, there is a curb inlet option which would give capture efficiency, gutter spread etc...

Back