Cubic Yard Abbreviation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive used both CY and yd, but only use yd if its an obvious cubic measurement (like backfill)

i thought cd was the abbreviation for a cord
It is! And that's what started the "argument". I got a bunch of documents that abbreviated cubic yards as CD. A polite inquiry got me the snarky answer "everyone in the business knows CD is cubic yard". I kindly pointed out "I'm in the business and I don't know CD is cubic yard - I'd have guessed cord". Turns out I'm right... but I figured I'd ask here.

i thought cd was the abbreviation for a cord
It is! And that's what started the "argument". I got a bunch of documents that abbreviated cubic yards as CD. A polite inquiry got me the snarky answer "everyone in the business knows CD is cubic yard". I kindly pointed out "I'm in the business and I don't know CD is cubic yard - I'd have guessed cord". Turns out I'm right... but I figured I'd ask here.
If I abbreviated the method of payment cubic yards with CD on a bid schedule or basis of bids for a project, I'd have every contractor in the area calling me to ask what the heck was the matter with me. 'everyone in the business...' yea right.

Back