CSP Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PEPG

Reaction score
Any certified safety professionals who currently hold (or are in the exam process) their PE? How is the exam? Did you have any education in Safety Engineering, or was it job related etc...

Any certified safety professionals who currently hold (or are in the exam process) their PE? How is the exam? Did you have any education in Safety Engineering, or was it job related etc...
Man - I guess I'll respond to myself. Forget about the CSP. Nobody gives a crap! Now shutup and study for your PE, **** it! :screwloose:

The only time I recall someone discussing the CSP is based on the post below - the entire thread can be found at Job Safety Analysis Thread

JR

In my past life, as a Safety Engineer (hey, this is the first time I've said that since actually getting my PE), we did JSA's on all manner of jobs. Office jobs actually do involve much risk, simply because it seems so safe. The problem is that most things are one-offs - someone sits down wrong and hurt their back... had someone who heard a loud noise, turned her head to the side too fast, and ruptured a disc in the neck.
The biggest thing is computer use - "ergonomics" being the operative discipline - which costs a lot of money, but it is under assessed and under addressed.

There are also the atypical activities, like handling a box of plotter or copier paper, or a 5 gallon bottle of water. Slip and falls, etc. If you do observations as part of you engineering CA, then that needs to be reviewed, and training for jobsite hazards needs to be addressed.

I did have my CSP (Certified Safety Professional - see http://www.bcsp.org) put on my new business cards ("CSP, PE"). I think they may put me on the "safety committee" at work, although I have been angling to avoid that - my last safety gig was running a safety program for 2500 manufacturing employees.

Well, I did pass the PE, and will be workingo on my CSP. My job focus now is environmental compliance (which is very broad - from managing hazardous waste, CNG stations, Fueling operations, tanks, spills, remediation bla bla). All of the areas overlap safety, and I am constantly called on to make "safety" type decisions. I can see this position evenutally managing safety professionals, so I am going to go for the CSP.

I did see the thread on Safety in the General Engineering Section, thanks jregieng for that. If anyone reads this and has any tips for studying for the CSP, let me know.

At least the the PE means I will have the first part of the exam waived!

Wish me luck.

:p10940623:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, in case anyone cares - it is a year later, and I finally got my application in to sit for the CSP exam. As I expected they waived the Fundamentals exam (due to my PE), and are allowing me to go for the CSP title.

Not nearly as exiting as the PE, but once it is over, an accomplishment nonetheless!

Back