Critique my Reference and practice problem list

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

707Engineering

Reaction score
Hello,

Im putting together my reference and study question book list. I went through other people suggestions plus books from the PPI2 website and it got a little out of hand... lol. anyway I have a list of books I will be ordering soon from Amazon and wanted to know if they are everything I need, more than I need, or if there's anything I'm missing. (note: I already have ASCE/SEI 7-05 & the IBC & NDS books)) Here it goes...

AM/PM

1. PE Civil Sample Questions and Solutions (by ncees)

2. Civil Engineering All-In-One PE Exam Guide: Breadth and Depth 2/E

3. Civil Engineering PE Practice Exams: Breadth and Depth (All in One)

4. Civil Engineering Reference Manual for the PE Exam

5. Quick Reference for the Civil Engineering PE Exam

6. Practice Problems for the Civil Engineering PE Exam: A Companion to the Civil Engineering Reference Manual

7. Design Loads on Structures During Construction (SEI/ASCE 37-02)

8. Six-Minute Solutions for Civil PE Exam Construction Problems

9. Estimating Construction Costs- Peurifoy

10. Bob's Rigging & Crane Handbook (7th Edition)

11. ACI 318-08 Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete and Commentary

12. ACI 347-04: Guide to Formwork for Concrete

13. Construction Planning, Equipment, and Methods- Peurifoy

14. Civil Engineering Solved Problems

15. Civil PE Sample Examination

16. 29 CFR 1926 OSHA Construction Industry Regulations July 2012

Seismic

1. Seismic Principles Practice Exams for the California Special Civil Engineer Examination

2. Seismic Design Solved Problems

3. Seismic Design of Building Structures

4. Code Master: Seismic Design

5. CodeMaster - Seismic Design Category [2009 IBC / ASCE 7-05]

Surveying

1. 120 Solved Surveying Problems for the California Special Civil Engineer Examination (Engineering Review)

2. Surveying Principles for Civil Engineers: Review for the Engineering Surveying Section of the California Special Civil Engineer Examination, 2nd ed.

3. Civil Surveying Sample Exams for the California Special Civil Engineer Examination, 2nd ed.

I guess we are to assume you are taking the Construction depth and you are taking the exam in CA. ;) I can't speak for the Const PM specific books but (in my opinion) your AM looks a little too excessive), your CA Survey looks just about right and your CA Seismic looks a little excessive. For the AM, all you'll need is the CERM and/or the All-In-One. Practice problems are good but you won't need stuff like the Quick Reference book (again, my opinion). For Seismic, forget the codemaster junk. Also, I'd strongly consider the Seimsic workbook (or class) by Dr. Ibrahim of EET (a sponser here) as opposed to the SDBS. http://www.eet-california.com/ Good luck.

When I took the exam I found that I really only used the CERM, and I looked up one or two answers in another textbook. And you need to know where to find the information you need because you really don't have time to search for information very much (hard to believe but your 6 minutes per question goes by pretty quick), so if you end up with too many you might just get bogged down. And with the sample exams, unless you remember what all the questions on the sample were and you happen to get a very similar problem, they're not any help as a reference (good practice though so I guess you might as well bring them in) - don't rely on being able to look up similar probelms from a sample exam.

Back