CPM Definitions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_NC

Reaction score
I have seen some topics on Scheduling, CPM/Network diagrams, however I have not found a reference that lays out all of the 'definitions'. such as: Total Float, Free Float, equations to make the various calculations, etc. I thought seeing the relationships in equation form would help me pull the concepts together.

You are correct a nice set of definitions would be helpfull, I patched together one from several differient sources, however, I just looked on my computer and the folder "PE Exam" is missing. I may have it at home and if so I will make available. You can do a google search and wikpedia has some terms as well.

You will need to learn to deal with float when given, this is a topic that is not covered very will in most references. I have construction reference that worked pretty well that I will post.

I have seen some topics on Scheduling, CPM/Network diagrams, however I have not found a reference that lays out all of the 'definitions'. such as: Total Float, Free Float, equations to make the various calculations, etc. I thought seeing the relationships in equation form would help me pull the concepts together.
Here is what I have used:

FF: Free Float

LF: Late Finish

LS: Late Start

ES: Early Start

EF: Early Finish

D: Duration

EF=ES+D

LS=LF-D

LF=LS+D=Latest of TF or FF

TF=LF-EF=LS-ES=LF-ES-D

FF= ES of following activity- EF of activity in question= Time an activity finish can be delayed without delay of ES of the following activity

The reference I have is Construction Planning, Equipment and methods Peurifoy. Alot of info not in CREM and Ruwan. I have the 1996 version which was cheap but newer versions are expensive. The orginal 1956 is available for <10$ maybe some could buy and post their impression,

Here is what I have used:FF: Free Float

LF: Late Finish

LS: Late Start

ES: Early Start

EF: Early Finish

D: Duration

EF=ES+D

LS=LF-D

LF=LS+D=Latest of TF or FF

TF=LF-EF=LS-ES=LF-ES-D

FF= ES of following activity- EF of activity in question= Time an activity finish can be delayed without delay of ES of the following activity
Chapter 81 "Project Management" in the 10th edition of the CERM goes through all of this. Not sure what chapter this is within the 11th edition.

Back