Could you beat me ???:):):)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darius

Engineer
Reaction score
I was just wondering if there is any one in a worse situation in this bad economy. Honestly I don’t think so, but just want to hear your opinion.

I am working for more than 5 years to the same company, without supervision and doing only structural (residential and commercial all kind). I get paid a little over 30K / year (more exact would be 32 K), I am a full time employee, but get paid as 1099, so that means I have to pay my own tax. After I do that is a little more than 25K./year. I do not receive any benefit (no vacation paid, no holiday paid, no health insurance of any kind, no bonuses of any kind and the list can go on, basically the only benefit is my salary paid in time).

It's kind of frustrating, but I take as it is for now. I had my exam last October, just praying to get the PE so I can move on. :) :): :)

Good luck to everyone and Happy Holidays.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally can't beat you, no. But:

I have an ex-girlfriend who was grossing about $19k per year (that's before taxes) working as a graphic designer at a newspaper. No raise in the 7 years she'd worked there. Second shift, crappy working conditions and since the paper printed overnight she was basically on call all the time so she'd often get calls a 3 or 4 am and have to go into work. For $10/hour (35 hours per week).

My mom got laid off about 7 years ago from a job as an admin assistant. Applied for dozens of jobs but never got a call. She finally decided to go to school to do medical transcription, with the promise of being able to make a decent living. She now works 50-60 hours a week trying to decipher foreign doctors speaking medical gobelty-gook and grosses about $10k/year with no benefits at all (she is a contractor).

They are both hard workers, and trying to do a good job but things haven't worked out for them. So, yeah. Could be worse.

Keep your head up darius. We all have to scrap and struggle, it's what builds us as individuals and shapes our personal reality of success.

I don't want to beat you. I'm perfectly happy where I'm at, and I had to work through some pretty tough times to get here. Keep working hard and you can get where you want to as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mudpuppy: I feel sad about your mom and people like her, since they worked their entire life and not being appreciated enough to live a decent life. Since you are doing better than me, hope you can help her and bring a smile on her face. All our parents deserve that, since we are where we are just because of them.

Wilheldp PE: Maybe my add was not clear enough but obviously my question was for employed people who are working on a similar field, or doing similar job. Definitely do not have a job at all is worse, to be sick or in a hospital even worse than worse and thinking for a second you can find someone in even worse than that situation; but again is beyond our subject.

And I didn’t post to complain, I am very happy and optimistic person, I definitely take it as it is, was just pure curiosity and wanted to find some other fellow’s opinion. For sure will be better, sooner or later and I’ll work hard to get where I wanna get. lololo

Back