Constrution Depth - Oct 2010

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ StaceyG: Will it matter having a "non-Federal Gov't." authored OSHA book, like CCH or by somebody else? Do you have the link for Temporary Structures? I found one by University of Washington, course title is CM 420, it is very comprehensive and would be very helpful in actual designing job. But I wish it has some practice problems. Thanks.

I am not sure about the OSHA book. the link was the University of Washington course. It was very comprehensive and helped me with the test. Good Luck!

@ StaceyG: Will it matter having a "non-Federal Gov't." authored OSHA book, like CCH or by somebody else? Do you have the link for Temporary Structures? I found one by University of Washington, course title is CM 420, it is very comprehensive and would be very helpful in actual designing job. But I wish it has some practice problems. Thanks.

I am not sure about the OSHA book. the link was the University of Washington course. It was very comprehensive and helped me with the test. Good Luck!

Yes, I'm using the same link. Thanks again.

Yes, I'm using the same link. Thanks again.
Can you post the link please..

Thanks

@trussnorris: Are these books helpful at all? I'm planning on buying the first 2, I already got Nunnally's. Thanks.

Construction Engineering for Civil Engineering License, Mansour 2010

New Civil Engineering Construction Module for the Civil PE Exam, Dauenheimer

Construction Methods and Management (6th Edition),S. W. Nunnally
Honestly, I don't know. I employed the "I don't need 100% to pass" method. I studied what I already knew so I wouldn't spend needless time on it, I did practice problems from one of the Civil PE test books, and I brought as many books as I could fit in my old lady cart, organized by percieved usefullness. I work in construction and my company has provided me with training on almost all of the topics covered. My degree emphasis was structural. I don't think I had a single 'construction management' book. My books were all standard civil design books plus I had the OSHA book and a survey book.

@Trussnorris:
I see. Thank you. I really need materials suggestions for Construction...
I passed using the Civil PE Professional Engineer exam Construction module,Third Edition by Rajapakse had quite a few practice problems. Don't waste your time on the second or first edition.

@Trussnorris:
I see. Thank you. I really need materials suggestions for Construction...
I passed using the Civil PE Professional Engineer exam Construction module,Third Edition by Rajapakse had quite a few practice problems. Don't waste your time on the second or first edition.

Its not construction management. The only management is the node charts. Don't approach this as a management test, it is not. Envision you are both the office engineer and the first line construction support person in the design office. The test is about these skills.

Passed Civil- Construction 1st try
CERM & practice problems (primary reference)

Full printout of OSHA CFR (primary reference)

ACI 318 (primary ref)

NCEES practice problem book

ASD- WSD

Handbook of Rigging - Rossnagel

Properties of concrete- Neville

ASCE 7-05

Construction Module Guide - Rajapakse (pretty much useless during test w/o any index provided and poor layout, but read commentary ahead of time)

Did not bring, but could have used a good surveying & roadway curve reference book & basic hydraulics references

Know estimating quantities, cut/fill problems, soil properties, and timeline information 100% and will do fine; the practice prblems are MUCH more difficult than the actual test. I studied about 20-30 hrs for the test... but thats how I normally studied thru college
Do you have a link to the "full printout of OSHA CFR"?

I am in Texas, and I failed with a 68 taking the Construction PM.
I have to say that the Testmasters class I attended prepared me poorly for Construction. The questions that we were told we'd see in the afternoon, and the study books we were told to use for practice problem purposes turned out to be almost entirely useless.

I need to know how to get good study materials from people who passed.

Out of my group of friends that did Testmasters, 3 out of 5 of us failed.

What construction books did you use to study.

I passed the Civil - Construction test last fall on the first try. Since I am mech engineer by degree, I was extremely worried and not only bought a buch of books but also took a class at a local univ. I bought the Lindburg Civil Engineering Reference Manual and several that went along with it. I believe the best problems to do are the ones in the NCEES Sample Exam and I did them all with exception of extremely difficult structural. The probems in the Civil Engineering Reference Manual sample exam were pretty good as well but the Civil Engineering Reference Manual practice problems (the thicker problems book) I felt were much more difficult than the test. 20-30min/ea on a lot of them.

The class was pretty good but was waaaaaay to indepth in the waste water/water treatment and structural for the construction folks and knowing what I know now, I would have skipped those days or at least left early.

The construction portion was covered in half a class, but was actually pretty useful and I benefited from the quick review of economics and how to use the tables in the back of the Civil Engineering Reference Manual. The class was geared around the book too.

I too suffered from not having OSHA and ACI manuals.

I would guess that I studied for on average 2-3 hrs/night 3 nights per week for 2.5 months and took the class that was 3 hrs /night for 4 weeks.

Good luck

Back