Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Note so self: Don't go Xmas shopping at the Danbury Fair Mall this weekend in the event this wasn't an isolated incident.

I think all these people suddenly crying for gun control today are morons. If someone is determined to get something illegal, he probably will find a way, much less for something that is legal.

Last edited by a moderator:
This really hits home, as I'm sure it does to all of you parents that send your kids off to school everyday.

I couldn't even imagine what that community is going through. Very very sad.

Don't normally post this kind of stuff, but here's a link to the article. Vicki was the girl I knew and grew up with. Gave her own life to protect her students.

/>http://news.yahoo.com/shooting-victims-hero-teacher-principal-20-kids-122309290--abc-news-topstories.html

Sorry to hear that, Supe. Sounds like she was a really upstanding woman.

I think all these people suddenly crying for gun control today are morons. If someone is determined to get something illegal, he probably will find a way, much less for something that is legal.
The biggest U.S. massacre of school kids was right up the street from me in Bath, Michigan, back in the 1930s.

That guy didn't shoot anybody... used explosives.

Whack jobs will find a way.

I couldn't agree more. However, I've avoided the urge to even argue the point with anyone, there is no use. I think that everyone is angry about what has happened, and wanting to "Do Something About It" is a normal reaction. I feel that is what the 'gun control' crowd is doing, just reacting.

2 years ago, I visited the Murrah Building Memorial in Oklahoma City. It put a lump in my throat just seeing the small chairs that represent all the children that were in the day care that day. Seeing that years later still brings anger towards McVay, et al.

BTW, Timothy McVay didn't use guns.

Nut jobs are nut jobs. Mental illness is the issue, IMO.

I'm sorry to hear that Supe,, I agree that the country needs to look at ways to identify the mental illness side of this instead of what people think is the answer (banning guns) There's just no way to get all the guns from the "bad guys".. states and cities with the highest crime rates also tend to have the toughest gun laws, and it does little to stop them.. I have seen in atlanta where they will do no questions asked gun buy back programs, but that probably barely makes a dent in it..

also they need to just stop reporting these things to the level they do, someone out there is now trying to figure out a way to one up this horrendous crime.. the media wont over do this but what they need to do is simply not report on it 24-7 like they do...

With as many nut jobs as there are in this country, for me, it makes me more likely to use my carrying permit, than it does to make me not use it.. which is sad..

Did you all see that another nut job in Oklahoma was planning on shooting up his high school this week? Luckily they caught him before he did it, but whenever something happens there is always 1-3 copycats that follow right after it.

Chalk that up to fragile mental states, over-saturation of the media about the event, etc etc.

What I found strange, and maybe I am just an ass, but they were saying on the news that people in California and other states were reporting being traumatized by this event. Granted, it is a sad, horrible, unthinkable event, but to live thousands of miles away and having to see a pysch because of it? I would look at them being the "nut job" that we should look out for. Do I just not understand this well or I am a Gigantic DoucheBag

Sorry to hear it Supe. It's hard enough to hear about this with no connection at all, I can't imagine knowing someone that was a victim.

As for the whole gun debate, scratch that, don't need to discuss it. I just can't put words to the feelings that a tragedy like this elicits and my heart goes out to the parents and families that lost a child due to this mad man.

At least the local papers around here are covering the story without giving the crazy guy the attention. It is always the gunman, they never use his name. and they spend as little time on that part as possible. the victims are most of the news

I have to admit that am a cry baby. Last night was reading a report that included names and pics of victims. Was not able to go past the 3rd pic. Little innocent angels with all their lives ahead. Had a long night but was not sad anymore. The feeling changed to anger. Why things like that happen so often?

I'm sorry to hear that Supe,, I agree that the country needs to look at ways to identify the mental illness side of this instead of what people think is the answer (banning guns) There's just no way to get all the guns from the "bad guys".. states and cities with the highest crime rates also tend to have the toughest gun laws, and it does little to stop them.. I have seen in atlanta where they will do no questions asked gun buy back programs, but that probably barely makes a dent in it..
Mental health is definitely a big part of it. I think there are societal issues as well. We glorify violence in movies, TV, video games, etc. I mean seriously, how many first player shoot 'em up games are there? And if there aren't enough high speed chases, explosions and shots fired in a movie, it gets panned for lacking 'action.' You get some wacko who ain't wrapped too tight who thinks he's a hero or he's getting revenge or whatever.

If they took every gun in the country and melted them to slag, this guy still could have attacked with a truck bomb, anthrax, poison gas, etc.

Thanks all for the kind words. They held a vigil the other night at my high school, and there was a tremendous turnout. Everyone I've talked to in the area says it's difficult to describe the mood. The normal hustle and bustle and giddiness of the holidays is just completely absent up there.

I dont know if a good door really would stop a crazy lunatic, but at newer schools in my area there is a lockdown area in the front entrance that I am told by the principal (lives in my hood) that its supposed to be able to withstand your average "kick in by a grown man" and that the rest of the school is pretty much isolated from the main entrance and that exiting side doors doesnt happen during the day..

I know my kids middle school is like this. at the elementary schools there is no way to prevent someone from walking in the front door and then going crazy before they "check in at the office"

I can see some action being talked about at schools about upgraded the main entrance concept and basically this might give police a few extra minutes to hopefully slow down some would be lunatic...of course this is a major expense to retrofit every school in america but I hope that some consideration is given to this in new school designs..

The biggest U.S. massacre of school kids was right up the street from me in Bath, Michigan, back in the 1930s.

That guy didn't shoot anybody... used explosives.

Whack jobs will find a way.
It was 1927.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

Honestly, you can't stop crazy.

It is hard enough to do anything about a child who is a danger to himself and others, but once they reach 18, it is almost impossible to do anything to corral them.

Good thing Kaczynski wasn't a chemical engineer of biologist.

Last edited by a moderator:
RG,

My kids school has the same thing, and if I'm not mistaken, this school in Connecticut had it too. They said the school had a 'lock-out' system that required being buzzed in, but he shot out an adjacent window and came on in.

I don't know if that is true or not, but heard it over the weekend

Sorry to hear it Supe. It's hard enough to hear about this with no connection at all, I can't imagine knowing someone that was a victim.

As for the whole gun debate, scratch that, don't need to discuss it. I just can't put words to the feelings that a tragedy like this elicits and my heart goes out to the parents and families that lost a child due to this mad man.
That's where I'm at, too.

Thanks all for the kind words. They held a vigil the other night at my high school, and there was a tremendous turnout. Everyone I've talked to in the area says it's difficult to describe the mood. The normal hustle and bustle and giddiness of the holidays is just completely absent up there.
Supe: So sorry to hear of your personal connection. Everything I've read says the school staff were responsible for keeping this incident to this state...Hard to believe but the number killed could've been much higher. They found like 300+ more rounds with the shooter.

I get angry that the shooter then kills himself. WTF?? The answer is to get these ass-hats to reverse the order:kill themselves at home first and then head out into the general public.

I agree that the country needs to look at ways to identify the mental illness side of this instead of what people think is the answer (banning guns)
That's not much better. Assuming you can identify the mental illness (and "illness" is a pretty broad spectrum!), how do you propose to handle the treatment? Lock 'em all up? Because we sure as heck aren't going to cure every one.

Back