Conflicts

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

passpepasspe

Reaction score
My chelapathi transporatation has a figure and very very brief discussion of conflict analysis. The printing is so horrible, i can barely read it.. what are conflict problem types? is there a handy chart that someone has for type of conflicts that can be encourtered on a type of intersection, etc.. or which book might have that information...

My chelapathi transporatation has a figure and very very brief discussion of conflict analysis. The printing is so horrible, i can barely read it.. what are conflict problem types? is there a handy chart that someone has for type of conflicts that can be encourtered on a type of intersection, etc.. or which book might have that information...
A conflict is one of three things:

Diverging - a travel way splitting into two directions i.e. though lane coming into an intersection and being able to turn right or continue forward.

Crossing - two travel ways that cross i.e. SB through meeting a WB through.

Merging - opposite of Diverging where two travel ways merge together i.e. a ramp joining a freeway or a westbound left turn joining the southbound through.

Here is also a picture example for the Diverging Diamond Interchanges we've built over the past couple of years.

fig2.gif

Diverging - a travel way splitting into two directions i.e. though lane coming into an intersection and being able to turn right or continue forward.

Merging - opposite of Diverging where two travel ways merge together i.e. a ramp joining a freeway or a westbound left turn joining the southbound through.

Here is also a picture example for the Diverging Diamond Interchanges we've built over the past couple of years.

fig2.gif
From what textbooks and review manual has shown to me, it looks like a bunch of black circles, white circles and black and white circles representing divering, crossing and merging.

fig2.gif
From what textbooks and review manual has shown to me, it looks like a bunch of black circles, white circles and black and white circles representing divering, crossing and merging.
The ITE Manual has a pretty good discussion on conflicts.

Goswami's All in One PE guide has a section of Conflict Points as well in the Traffic Section. Try doing a search in google for "conflict points." I believe I found some great diagrams online too.

Back