complexity of MERM problems

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going through the MERM practice problems and I am trying to do every one in every chapter.  My plan is to take the HVAC test in April.  I am having a really hard time with the problems in chapter 28 and 29. They are the reciprocating combustion and combustion turbine respectively.  How likely are any of the exam questions to be this complicated in reality?

The merm problems are designed to be tougher than what you will see.  Are power cycles in the HVAC pm section?   If yes, go through them.   If not, go through them knowing these will be not as intense if you see them in the am.

Just focus on refrigeration cycle, Rankine and Brayton cycles. Mark down the formula for the ideal efficiency for different cycles.

For power cycles portion,I think all you need to know how the compressors and turbines works for breadth exam ( basic knowledge about adiabatic and isentropic expansion or compression etc). 

For depth, refrigeration cycle is all what you need to know. Focus more on psychrometrics and try to use ASHRAE books for HVAC preparation rather than using MERM.

Just focus on refrigeration cycle, Rankine and Brayton cycles. Mark down the formula for the ideal efficiency for different cycles.

For power cycles portion,I think all you need to know how the compressors and turbines works for breadth exam ( basic knowledge about adiabatic and isentropic expansion or compression etc). 

For depth, refrigeration cycle is all what you need to know. Focus more on psychrometrics and try to use ASHRAE books for HVAC preparation rather than using MERM.
Thank you so much.

May I ask why you mention specific the Brayton cycle? 

May I ask why you mention specific the Brayton cycle? 
This is just based on my observation in all the problems I did in NCEES sample exams ( 2001 & 2008) as well as 6 minute solutions that more questions are asked on Brayton cycle ( may be because air in the medium used and it is easy to apply ideal gas laws).

Those who have already taken PE exams can provide there input to validate my point.

Back