Complex Imaginary Test 2 Problem 24

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildsoldier PE

Reaction score
This problem is very similar to the NCEES problem 129. The errata for this problem clarify something that I think still is wrong because they forgot to multiply by square root of 3. I provide 2 methods to solve this problem. One is the Complex imaginary method the way i think it is supposed to be done and the other is using the NEC correction factor.

[SIZE=14pt]Method 1:[/SIZE]

scan.jpg

scan0002.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]Method 2:[/SIZE]

scan0003.jpg

Let me know what do you all think.

The method you have identified #2 is used as a good approximation in IEEE-141 voltage drop calculation and is generally speaking, quite accurate. I didn't plow through your original solution but it seems like that is the exact answer. There is an error term if you look in the IEEE standard which I think will bridge from your first solution to second. I am just guessing but I would think that applying the approximation on the test would give you a solution close enough to get you to the correct answer. If you look at the diagram in IEEE-141, you can see where the error comes from.

I assume you realize that the difference of 200mV in your two solutions is probably smaller than the tolerance in the provided conductor parameters?

Last edited by a moderator:
Their latest errata clarifies asking for phase voltage in the question so their solution is correct.

Back