Commercial water demand (gpd)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSEARCH

Reaction score
Project is located in Pinellas County, FL.

Relocating a 12-inch water main for a client and there are two commercial properties that are tied into the line.

I don't have a McGraw-Hill Water Distribution System Handbook AWWA.

Can someone direct me where I can find some information on determining the average daily water demand per connection for commercial use?

TIA

I'm in MEP, so I don't have Civil experience. But you can estimate the demand based on tap size. However, I do not recommend guessing.

If you are replacing the main, you are working for the City? In any case, on the domestic side you should get historical metering data from the City for the existing taps, and the minimum pressure from the Hydrant test within the last year. If no hydrant test within the last year, then it must be performed and paid for by client. In addition, Fire Department should be contacted for Fire main requirements. This will give you much better evidence to base your design on; get some data on paper from the authorities. (Tables are generally for future use, but when you have existing systems you should go to historical data.)

2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back