Close talkers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennifer Price

Tattoo Girl, PE
Reaction score
Someone I work with is an extremely close talker. Usually, he catches me in the hall so I can only back up as far as the walls will let me. I am a very "private" person in terms that I get very uncomfortable when my personal space is invaded by anyone, especially by someone I am not to fond of at the moment (that is a whole other rant).

How do you guys deal with close-talkers? Do you have any escape methods that will allow a conversation to continue but just not at such close proximity?

[SIZE=8pt]edited for content in case someone in my building visits this board.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
My boss is an extremely close talker and it is worse when he has been drinking. Usually, he catches me in the hall so I can only back up as far as the walls will let me. I am a very "private" person in terms that I get very uncomfortable when my personal space is invaded by anyone, especially by someone I am not to fond of at the moment (that is a whole other rant).
How do you guys deal with close-talkers? Do you have any escape methods that will allow a conversation to continue but just not at such close proximity?
You can always let him know. There are ways to point out that without getting into trouble. I have faced the same problem and the person was a smoker. I let him know in a very simple way: "John Doe...you are not my type so back off". This case is different since he is your boss but he has to respect you the same way you respect him so let him know.

Stop wearing deodorant. In fact just quit bathing all together. Don't brush your teeth for a while and spritz a little of this on each morning.

oa1004-t.jpg

That should solve the problem of the close talker.

One of my clients engineering guys is a close talker... and worst part is he is missing most of his teeth... and some of the ones he has left are black and decaying. So basically he spits alot and has horrible breath.

Normally I avoid close talkers by trying to get them to sit down in an office or conference room.

I'd wear the clown suit with the hoop to keep him at arm's length
clown-hoop-model-1.jpg

It all depends on my mood. If I'm in a particularly bad mood, I'll get even close to them doing my best to make THEM uncomfortable. Normally, though, I'll just grin and bear it.

Try to get a piece of furniture between you and the close talker.

Start eating raw onions.

Sit down, and cross your legs to keep them at bay.

Avoid getting backed into a corner.

I occasionally have someone who comes to my desk and wants to talk forever about nothing. My solution for that is to keep anything on my desk handy so I can immediately stand up, pick up the document and say I need to go get a copy of this. That has worked fairly well. I think fo your situation, I would carry a clip board or binder with me all the time and use it as a barrier. You could even prop it on your waist in front of you and hold it with your hand at the top.

Or, you could keep a piece of gum or hard candy in your mouth and "accidentally" cough and spit it out at him. :)

I occasionally have someone who comes to my desk and wants to talk forever about nothing. My solution for that is to keep anything on my desk handy so I can immediately stand up, pick up the document and say I need to go get a copy of this. That has worked fairly well. I think fo your situation, I would carry a clip board or binder with me all the time and use it as a barrier. You could even prop it on your waist in front of you and hold it with your hand at the top.

That is a really good idea! I think I may have to find me a clip board in our office.

And thank you to the rest of you guys for your suggestions. I am thinking about trying out the clown suit later this week (will send pics if it happens) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I say just duck and move to the other side of the hall, like you're trying to escape his grasp or something. Make it kind of obvious but don't say anything. If he follows, do it again.

And if that doesn't work, try a taser.

I had to explain how a 95% UCL analysis can work on primarily right censored data to a few folks this morning. That seemed to send people right out of the room! :true:

Give it a try! At the very least you will lull him to sleep and you can make your getaway! :)

JR

I have another suggestion: Sneeze. Either sneeze on him, or sneeze so suddenly and violently that your knee accidentally comes up hard into his crotch.

Apologize profusely.

I used to tell men (certain men!) that I had an Italian reflex and that people who came up behind me and put their hand on me might get "The Italian Backhand". I would also gasp or yell sometimes.

I have another suggestion: Sneeze. Either sneeze on him, or sneeze so suddenly and violently that your knee accidentally comes up hard into his crotch.
Apologize profusely.
That is great.

Stand like this guy ---> :party-smiley-048:

What if you work with one of those people that won't stop talking no matter what you have to do, and will follow you to the copier to continue the conversation? AAARGHH (good thing the secret room exists, said coworker is on here!)

^Yeah, but in 25 more posts, that coworker will be reading this thread!

Back