Civil/Structural Engineer

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOOK

Reaction score
Can Civil Engineer design PRIVATE schools in CA or it has be done by Structrual Engineer as PUBLIC schools?

Thanks

Can Civil Engineer design PRIVATE schools in CA or it has be done by Structrual Engineer as PUBLIC schools? Thanks
Yes a Civil Engineer can design a private schools , Only public schools and hosbitals should be designed by a Structural Engineer. I think there is a question similar to this in the 345 questions book

Can Civil Engineer design PRIVATE schools in CA or it has be done by Structrual Engineer as PUBLIC schools? Thanks
Yes a Civil Engineer can legally design a private schools , Only public schools and hosbitals should be are required to be designed by a Structural Engineer. I think there is a question similar to this in the 345 questions book
fixed it for you. IMHO, all buildings abnd structures should be designed by a qualified structural engineer (which does not necessarily mean a registered structural engineer). I know this is splitting hairs but sometimes the obvious needs to be stated.

Since the structure will have seismic parts that will need to be stamped I dont see how a civil engineer could do the design. The Civil could work under the structural but will not be able to be responcible for the design. Although there are specific requirements for public schools I believe there are overall requirements that allow a Civil to design some wooden structures (single family homes) and that is about all.

Since the structure will have seismic parts that will need to be stamped I dont see how a civil engineer could do the design. The Civil could work under the structural but will not be able to be responcible for the design. Although there are specific requirements for public schools I believe there are overall requirements that allow a Civil to design some wooden structures (single family homes) and that is about all.
The question is not what would happen in the real world, but what a civil engineer can do. In this case, a civil engineer can legally design a private school (no more than 2 stories) and stamp the drawings without a structural engineer. For liability purposes, it is wise to have a structural engineer check and approve the drawings, but it's not necessary in the eyes of the PE Board.

Is the 2 story limit a limit for all structures? It was my understanding that in CA if you have a Civil PE you can seal any structure that is not either a school or hospital, regardless of number of stories.

Is the 2 story limit a limit for all structures? It was my understanding that in CA if you have a Civil PE you can seal any structure that is not either a school or hospital, regardless of number of stories.
Sorry, I was wrong. A civil engineer can design a building without a structural engineer in charge of the design for buildings that are not a hospital, public school, or greater than 160 feet tall in LA County.

Non-registered persons (non-PEs) may prepare design plans for light-framed structures that are no higher than 2 stories.

For liability purposes, it is wise to use a structural engineer for all type of occupied buildings, but it's not legally required for most.

Couldn't agree more, my situation is that I'm registered as an SE in several states, just haven't gotten the SEIII exam yet...

Latest posts

Back