Civil PE results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work with an MIT grad. He uses every possible opportunity to bring it up in conversation.

yes, thats one great school there, the people are so nice, and the camraderie (sp?) is really inspiring, the climate is hospitable and the people all really feel like they are working together.

when we moved her stuff up there, i waited by the car, and approx. 200 people walked by me before i saw an american. i am not xenophobic, but i think its a shame that we are giving away all that knowledge just b/c someone will work longer for cheeper, and kill themselves before saying, 'enough, man'

wow, a rant.

I probably got a perfect score in April, but since they don't give the test scores to passing results you will just have to take my delusions at face value  :BK:
me too
I did get a perfect score in April!

They told me.

It was a letter that said "CONGRATULATIONS YOU PASSED!"

They give you a special certificate that you can hang on your wall. A little card to carry in you wallet.

Yep. It was perfect.

I don't agree, social skills are great for car salesmen. Engineering is about technical skills.

If one can not pass a basic exam with 70% he should try into becoming a salesman for his company. Personally, I wouldn't trust 70% plans even if they were submitted by an engineer with great social skills! "oldtimer"

I don't agree, social skills are great for car salesmen. Engineering is about technical skills. If one can not pass a basic exam with 70% he should try into becoming a salesman for his company. Personally, I wouldn't trust 70% plans even if they were submitted by an engineer with great social skills!  "oldtimer"
Do you really believe that if you do not pass that test, you are not technically skilled ??

JR

ah, worked for an MIT grad, try married to one. met in ug and she went on to get her grad in OE from mit. 
My fiance and all her friends are Dartmouth engineering grad students. And they're all in real high tech stuff, no good old fashioned ME's who design coffee pots or stuff like that.

Fortunately, they're not too snooty.

don't agree, social skills are great for car salesmen. Engineering is about technical skills. If one can not pass a basic exam with 70% he should try into becoming a salesman for his company. Personally, I wouldn't trust 70% plans even if they were submitted by an engineer with great social skills!
I don't agree at all. Yes, you must be technically proficient, but social skills are a must. Engineers need to be able to effectively communicate with clients, contractors, etc. in order to do their job properly. And, it's always nice to get work in the first place, which you won't without some social abilities.

And I seriously do not think that the PE is a true test of technical proficiency. Not at all. I've known way too many PE's that didn't know what the heck they were doing. But they test well and were able to pass. Not to mention all the very good engineers who, for a variety of reasons, don't pass the PE exam. Should I mention all the crap I studied for the exam that I've never once used and will never use? I'm a geotech, why do I need to show that I can design a steel beam?

Ok, I'll stop ranting now.

I don't agree, social skills are great for car salesmen. Engineering is about technical skills. If one can not pass a basic exam with 70% he should try into becoming a salesman for his company. Personally, I wouldn't trust 70% plans even if they were submitted by an engineer with great social skills!
Social skills should be MINIMAL COMPETENCY. Anyone who thinks that minimal competency is how well you understand ASCE 7, for example, is ultimately misinformed. Social skills in management should be minimal competency. The smartest guy I ever knew turned down Harvard to go to The University of Wisconsin to get his nanotechnology PhD in Physics. He was also the undergrad class president his Junior and Senior year, which required social skills. He definitely intimidated every recluse under the Sun.

Back