Civil Engineer or Surveyor

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOOK

Reaction score
Which one of the following can be done ONLY by the Surveyor (Can NOT be done by civil engineer):

1- Construction Staking Survey

2- Stake for Building Construction

Thanks

I'm not sure I fully understand the question.

Construction staking survey as in temporary staking for construction activities or for final layout?

Staking for building construction like final site layout or platting?

your state's occupational code act should spell that out - it varies state to state (i don't know for CA), and then too, there can be specific exemptions also based on ownership of the project and / or land involved, size of building, project cost, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, it is a simple question for CA Surveying exam. I really do not know any more additional information about it.

Thanks for your help

Mook,

#1 is your answer.

The general laws of CA state that once the lot has been determined (by a PS), a PE (civil) can do his/her own survey to locate where the building should be.

I hope this helps.

Mook,
#1 is your answer.

The general laws of CA state that once the lot has been determined (by a PS), a PE (civil) can do his/her own survey to locate where the building should be.

I hope this helps.
Thanks Kevo but I really do not quite understand the difference between the two items.

Sorry about that.

A PLS (professional licensed surveyor) is the only person who can define actual property boundaries in CA.

Once the property boundaries have been defined, a licensed civil PE in CA can conduct a survey to define where his/her building can be on the property. (ie: where the building should be in relation to the defined property lines.)

Sorry about that.
A PLS (professional licensed surveyor) is the only person who can define actual property boundaries in CA.

Once the property boundaries have been defined, a licensed civil PE in CA can conduct a survey to define where his/her building can be on the property. (ie: where the building should be in relation to the defined property lines.)
I see, Thanks alot

Latest posts

Back