Civil/Construction Study Manual

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_NC

Reaction score
I am taking the Civil-Construction PE Exam Spring 2009...

I had never heard of the Kaplan Books.. I was planning on buying the reference manual, study guide from "the other board".

http://www.ppi2pass.com/"the other board"/PPIShop

I was under the impression that it was the "standard" for PE Review..

Has anyone started looking through it and found the Kaplan to be "better".. ?

Have most ppl. already dove into the studying in preparation for next year? or are these convo's prior to this 2008 exam?

Mike

with this being the first time construction has made it on the test, there isn't going to be much material out there. you will be better off than we were going into April '08, but i would recommend "the other board" and the CERM. they should have you covered for the AM portion of construction. if you are doing a PM portion, i would definitely look into a review course and definitely pick up some sample construction exams from NCEES (if available).

oh, and to answer your questions about kaplan, i wouldn't recommend it. i bought about $200 worth and didn't get past page 5. too much like a textbook, not enough explaining, too much calculus/theory, etc.. stick to "the other board", CERM, and/or a review course (which will probably use CERM anyway).

I passed the construction module with little more than the CERM, OSHA, and MUTCD books. I used the practice exam that the NCEES offered as a template for my studying.

I honestly didn't use very many resources during the afternoon portion of the exam. I would imagine the 11th edition of the CERM with it's revised "Construction" section would be beneficial. Your best plan of attack would be to really focus on the outline that NCEES says it bases it's exam on. It was just about spot on for April 08.

Back