CITING REFERNCES

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EBAT75

Reaction score
How critical is citing code equations, tables etc? If the equations are written down correctly, but code equation numbers are not given alongside, would it be a material omission? I can see a section number being important if explaining something but any opinions on equations?

I think it's a pretty significant part of the grading process as the graders want to know how familiar you are with the code and the way to show it would be citing it in your solution workflow. I have heard people get by with an "Improvement Required" by writing their solution procedure and citing code equations for certain parts of the problems.

For the afternoon problems flowcharts were ESSENTIAL!!  Made detailed flowcharts with code sections and equation numbers.  Having that info included in the flowcharts made it easy to include the reference info in the solution.

The strategy I took when I successfully passed the exam (so not sure how it was graded other than it ended up to be adequate) was to cite the specific section of the code I was applying. I did not cite specific equations that were a part of that section as that would just add more time to getting through the solution. If I pulled a number from a table I definitely referenced where that number came from (the table number).

I have to assume you wouldn't lose points assuming everything you've done is correct and you didn't put an equation or section number... but what do I know?  With that said, I think it can only help to put down the sections assuming you don't cite the wrong one, haha.

Back