Christmas Tree, 2011, real or fake?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What will you have

• Fake

Votes: 16 76.2%
  • Real

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters
We have a real tree and a fake tree...I got the fake tree last year for the kids play room...

One of our family traditions is to go to the choose-n-cut tree farm about 30 minutes from town...we've been doing it for many years, because of the drought this year and the last few years the tree selection is very limited. I proposed getting a in-town tree this year, and I thought my 15-yo son was going to cry. So we drove out to the farm this weekend, rode the hayride, walked the field, and then picked a pre-cut tree that had just arrived from one of the farmer friend's farm in NC. It's beautiful. The trees at the local farm will be good next year, and we helped a local farmer...oh, and the band-boosters with the purchase of some hot chocolate and sausage wraps.

We had a real tree for the first few years of marriage... then we got a male dog... he's only peed on the fake one the first year I put it up. We also can't hang any ornaments as last year I came home from work every day to the tree being undecorated and on the floor because of the cats... you gotta love animals...

Same here. To cat proof our tree, we only decorate down to the tree's equator. I wonder what the neighbors think as they drive by.

We also can't hang any ornaments as last year I came home from work every day to the tree being undecorated and on the floor because of the cats... you gotta love animals...
Our tree was fancifully decorated with glass ornaments the first year in our house and with a new cat. Looked fantastic! The tree fell that night and over half of the ornaments were now shrapnel. That's the day the cat almost died for the first time.

We now have two fake trees up inside, a real tree outside, and a leg lamp in the front window.

My kids (including husband) always wanted real tree. I didn't like cleaning up after it and watering it. They always said, "We'll do it; we promise!" Just like wanting a dog. Who's going to wash the dog and feed it? "We'll do it; we promise!" It took me awhile, but I figured out that they were not dependable.

My kids (including husband) always wanted real tree. I didn't like cleaning up after it and watering it. They always said, "We'll do it; we promise!" Just like wanting a dog. Who's going to wash the dog and feed it? "We'll do it; we promise!" It took me awhile, but I figured out that they were not dependable.
Feeding the dog is easy, just scoop some kibble into a bowl. Washing one after is has just rolled in something dead is kind of a drag however. We take turns each week. One washes, the other one dries.

I'm getting my tree Saturday, but not decorating until company shows up next week.

We cut a real one with a permit from the USFS. It lasts a long time and starts coming back into budding with life after a week of watering.

We went with a real tree this year. My wife has never had one so I figured I'd let her find out what a PITA they are on her own. Up until last year our house didn't have a whole lot of spare room so we went with a tall skinny fake tree. Now our house has the room for it but last year I was celebrating Christmas in beautiful Bagram, Afghanistan so she did the fake tree since I wasn't there. This year she's got room and she's got manual labor, i.e. me, so we went real.

It will be interesting to see how many years my daughter keeps doing real trees. This is the 2nd year she has bought real trees and she's beginning to complain about the mess.

Back