Choosing Geotechnical and transfer to other states

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ketanco

Reaction score
Hello,

I will take the PE exam in october in CT

I was told before that even if I choose Construction or Geotech, it doesnt matter and my PE stamp will be the same

But how about when transferring to other states? For example what if another state has separate Geotech engineer stamp? CA had it as far as I remember.

I will take Construction depth in afternoon as it is easier, but that depth doesnt seem very useful to me in real life. I am only choosing it because it is easier. But will thise creaste a disadvantage for me in real practice as far as not being able to do some type of work? in CT or other states?

that is going to be very state specific. best to really think about the states you forsee yourself ever wantting to work in and check their requirements

Hello,

I will take the PE exam in october in CT

I was told before that even if I choose Construction or Geotech, it doesnt matter and my PE stamp will be the same

But how about when transferring to other states? For example what if another state has separate Geotech engineer stamp? CA had it as far as I remember.

I will take Construction depth in afternoon as it is easier, but that depth doesnt seem very useful to me in real life. I am only choosing it because it is easier. But will thise creaste a disadvantage for me in real practice as far as not being able to do some type of work? in CT or other states?

With all due respect ketanco, between your (several) posts on the forum and the (several) PMs you and I have exchanged on this topic, I and others have already answered this question pretty clearly for you. I'll answer again - a Civil PE is a Civil PE. Period. It makes absolutely no difference to anyone wether you obtained your Civil PE by passing the Struct, Con, Water, Geo or Trans Depth modules.

Regarding your specific question about a Geotechnical Engineering in CA, the GE is a separate test. In order to take the GE exam, one needs to already be a Civil PE but it makes no difference which depth module was passed to obtain the Civil PE. http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/flowchart_for_ge.pdf

I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back