ChE from NC

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mcole

ChE in NC here. Just took the PE for the 1st time and passed. I was pretty nervous after being out of school 11 years and pretty much only doing fluids design work, but I guess all that late night studying paid off!

ChE in NC here. Just took the PE for the 1st time and passed. I was pretty nervous after being out of school 11 years and pretty much only doing fluids design work, but I guess all that late night studying paid off!
Congrats and welcome. I know what you mean, I've been out of school for 18 years. My 2.5- 3 months of studying paid off. Passed the Enviro PE 1st time too.

Hello, been reading for a while, but just registering, and posting, just failed it October 2006 for Mechanical PE.

Alright another ChE!!!
Finally Im not alone. Congrats on passing the PE. I hope to be in your shoes soon. Any tips?
Sure, plenty of tips.

1) Buy a new copy of Lindeburg's 6th Ed. You'll use it a ton in studying and the exam. You'll want a new copy b/c the binding sucks, and you'll probably wear it out before the exam. Then you can do like I did, and send it back for a brand new one right before the exam.

2) Try to get a copy of the 5th Ed. book by "the other board". Author is Robinson, I think. He more thoroughly covers Kinetics, and Mass Trans., where the 6th Ed. is weak. These 2 books will help you with 90% of the exam.

3) Das has a good reference for other sections of the test. The afternoon will have the plant design questions (like safety, vessel design, etc.). Das has a good general section in his review book which is very useful, and much easier to navigate than Perry's.

4) Take Perry's and spend some time tabbing it out based on practice problems you come across. That book is a monster, but you'll need it for some design questions.

5) Keep track of what books you used during practice and studying and take those to the exam. No more, no less. I took 5th and 6th Ed. Lindeburg ("the other board"), Das, Perry's, and few textbooks (Felder/Rousseau, Levenspiel, Crane Handbook).

6) Do the NCESS practice, timed, about 2 weeks before the exam. It is the closest thing to the real exam. Know those problems inside and out, where you found the answers, etc.

7) If you overprepare, the test will seem easier than everything you've studied and you'll feel a lot better afterward.

8) Last, also VERY important, study what the NCEES says is on the exam. Lindeburg gives you stuff that is NOT relevant. Study exactly what the NCEES says is on there, and you'll be prepared.

Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions.

sorry, new to this board, totally don't know how to post on this thing just to introduce myself - hate to say it but the 'other' board is way easier, i mean here i am replying to someone else's introduction to introduce myself! Sounds very Austin Powers (allow myself to introduce myself. . .) must be some kooky reason on why i can't start a new topic / thread (maybe some hazing for new members or something, heard about the frat boy mentality)

but yeah, the banana llama / alpaca is the whipdizzle!! :???:

oh and welcome, whoever's thread i'm posting on

We were hoping that engineers could think and be able to navigate the forum. Sorry for the inconvenience. Perhaps we should start a day school.

Might have been a little harsh on my post. Just wanted to say "Please forgive me" and "Welcome to this board".

As a friend of mine likes to say "Peace out"...Hope he really means that the way it sounds.

:true:

Fudgey, don't make yourself sound so deplorable. You might have made some serious lunch messes, but, hopefully, you are a good engineer!

:+1:

Back