CHANGES I’D LIKE TO SEE IN THE ENGINEERING PROFESSION

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freon

Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I would like to propose a solution to a set of common complaints I routinely see on this board: Pay, Value of Licensure & Respect from other Professional Occupations. My idea, an active campaign of letter writing to our respective State and Federal Legislatures calling for elimination of the “Exempt” Engineering fields; restrictions on the use of the title “Engineer” to licensed P.E.s, and more stringent requirements for “stamped” documents. For example:

On all letterhead and business cards, level of Engineering Certification must be shown.

(My neighbor in the next office would have to put Graduate Mechanical Engineer on his cards instead of Chief Mechanical Engineer)

No more building maintenance workers being called “Building Engineers”

“Prescriptions” to buy certain building and construction supplies, signed and stamped of course. Want to buy a circuit breaker at Home Depot? (OK, maybe this is going too far.)

Freon

Hmm...would I miss the sound technician engineers, who are really just guys that plug in the microphones?

Not really

I think all licensed engineers get frustrated with this. But the point is, laws do not scare people....enforcement of laws is what does it. How exactly will you enforce that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: "Sanitation engineers" and the like...get rid of them. IMO if you don't have an accredited engineering degree, it's baloney to call yourself an "engineer". Naturally one could make exceptions in rare circumstances but I do believe it dilutes the profession to have someone with no engineering background being CALLED an engineer. I have nothing but respect for my field engineer, who has been working with elevators for much longer than I've been alive. When it comes to practical experience and ability to troubleshoot a problem, he is the king - but he doesn't have an engineering degree and would be unable to handle a lot of the tasks that a graduate mechanical or electrical engineer would be expected to have. He's great at what he does, but he's no engineer. In the US, some of our field engineers have associate's degrees or even a bachelor's in engineering, but some do not. In Canada, our field engineers have to have an engineering degree and P.Eng or they cannot call themselves engineers legally. If not they have to call themselves "field support associate" or something along those lines.

Re: Calling oneself an engineer sans PE...not so much in agreement, mainly because the overwhelming majority of mechanical, electrical, materials, and chemical engineers work in exempt industry and thus had have no need for a PE. Most of them are damned good at what they do, and it would be an insult to make them out as "less of an engineer" because they had no reason to go through the often-laborious process of getting a PE. I am a mechanical engineer and I do believe I've earned the right to call myself such.

Re: requiring a PE. If the system were changed to require a PE without grandfathering in the engineers in exempt industry, there would be uproar. Are you really in favor of making a 60 year old mechanical engineer with nearly 40 years of experience, a huge list of patents, and a master's degree struggle through re-learning chemistry and circuits in order to pass the EIT? Also, what will you do for the huge number of engineers from exempt industry who lack ANYONE in their organization with a PE to recommend them? I have two PEs who can vouch for me, and one has an expired license (he never uses it, so he didn't renew it), plus two with a Canadian P.Eng, which my state board will not accept as equivalent to the US PEs. Heck, I don't know how the hell I'll find the three endorsers with a PE that I'm going to need, since by my state board's definition I only have one (and he's in a different area of engineering than me - he's electrical, I'm mechanical). If suddenly the 150+ engineers in my organization all needed a PE, it would be utter mayhem.

I've said it before, but I would be in favor of a system like the Canadians have. Everyone who wishes to practice the engineering profession has to have a P.Eng. Those with an accredited engineering degree automatically have an EIT-type credential, and after I believe 4 years of supervised, appropriate engineering work experience they take a 2 hour ethics exam and when they pass, they get the P.Eng. Those who do not have an approved engineering degree have to take a variety of exams to prove competence but in large part the initial part of the engineering credential is handled by strict requirements for engineering undergraduate education. Those without the P.Eng can't legally call themselves "engineers", but engineers in every field typically have a P.Eng and can mentor and endorse the applications of the EITs. The system is streamlined and is pretty much the same from province to province. I'm not necessarily in favor of having the only testing be an ethics exam, but maybe we could do away with the FE exam for people with an ABET-accredited degree, and streamline the process for taking the PE exam while providing more options for depth in each area. Changes would need to be made to the way things are done, and it would have to be consistent from state to state. I would also suggest state boards allowing non-PEs to endorse applications. It is onerous for those of us in exempt industry to find endorsers with PEs these days.

Value of licensure is clear for the Civils in the group. I'm well aware of that. By making it a de facto requirement for most jobs in the field, it makes it easy to have a defined early career progression that includes work under the supervision of a licensed PE, who can later endorse the EIT when they apply for licensure.

However, try convincing a bunch of mechanical engineers in the aerospace industry (for example) that they MUST run out and get a PE. They'll have to first take a test with stuff they haven't needed to remember since their undergrad days. When they make it to the PE, unless their experience is in machine design, HVAC, or fluids/thermo, they'll need to take an expensive review course to learn one of those areas. Oh, and by the way, they'll have to do all of this with none of their supervisors or colleagues having the PE and being available to vouch for the quality of their work. Good luck with that...

I often see engineers who used to work in exempt industry for many years and then start consulting, and that is not exempt. They ignore the law and operate anyway and when it finally gets enforced they complain and demand to be grandfathered.

I still think that studying for the PE exam enforces certain areas that you have become weak on after the years you have been out of college. Being more aware of the job and the need for knowledge, you learn the concept to apply to your job and to the test and do not simply memorize the steps to get a good grade in the class as some did in college. The test does more good than just give you the right to stamp plans if you pass. Just my thoughts though, take it for what it's worth.

I often see engineers who used to work in exempt industry for many years and then start consulting, and that is not exempt. They ignore the law and operate anyway and when it finally gets enforced they complain and demand to be grandfathered.
DITTO!!!!!!!!

Or the ones that consult through a temp agency when the temp agency has no PE's, nor State License, and still offers engineering services!!!!

From what I read, JR is the Chief Tool Engineer around here these days.
:thumbs: thinking along same lines. . . similar to the "tool pusher" (for those of us who have worked around drill rigs}

edit -

Katiebug, why the hell are you pursuing PE licensure? sounds like you're not only complaining about the perceived non-necessity of it for where you work & your job, but about the work involved in obtaining it at all. If it ain't your cup of tea, don't go spitting in everybody else's cup.

Texas has something in their laws saying that if you graduated with an engineering degree, then you can call yourself a graduate engineer. California has no such rule. I think that is a good way of taking care of the problem- then a chemical is still an engineer and no test is required. I agree the other crap should go- my ex boyfriend is a college dropout and a software engineer. We argue all the time about the fact that he's not really an engineer. I think a mass mailing to these people would put a stop to most of it.

DITTO!!!!!!!!
Or the ones that consult through a temp agency when the temp agency has no PE's, nor State License, and still offers engineering services!!!!
The firms that provide these services and masquerade as headhunters are NOT exempt. Texas is going after Aerotek and Oxford Engineering for this very reason.....

The firms that provide these services and masquerade as headhunters are NOT exempt. Texas is going after Aerotek and Oxford Engineering for this very reason.....
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They should make the big corporations that hire contractors from places like Aerotek verify the licensing of the companies offering engineering services.

I know in one big corporation they are trying to masquerade these people as "contengent workers" rather than as "engineers", but they do the same job that I do. Many of the people Aerotek will sell for services have no engineering background. Also, they get four times what the guy they send to work at the big corporation. I would rather hire an engineer out of college for much less than what I would have to pay Aerotek or similiar companies, but big corporations play funny games with headcount.

I agree the other crap should go- my ex boyfriend is a college dropout and a software engineer. We argue all the time about the fact that he's not really an engineer. I think a mass mailing to these people would put a stop to most of it.
I agree wholeheartedly, even if I was never able to convince Benbo that guys that write sofware are "developers", not engineers. This post didn't convince anyone, but I think that entire thread is an interesting backdrop for this current conversation.

Software engineering is not the same as coding. Federal law even decclares software coding as a wage job and cannot be misclassified as salary just because of the high pay.

Coding is essentially formatting and configuring nowadays. Software engineering is development of the architecture, algorithms, and structure. A SWE would probably direct coders much like an EE or ME directs CAD technicians. A SWE can also do the work of a coder much like an EE can use a CAD program.

Diagrams, charts, and the resulting code are considered the design, and the compiled code is considered the product. If a company provides software engineering/design services then they must have PEs on staff supervising the work and be a registered firm. If they only distribute the product (compiled code) then they are exempt but must collect sales taxes, etc. It used to be that a sole proprietor (contract, non-W2) had to be a PE and also be registered as a firm in Texas.

Texas has a SWE PE but EE (electrical & computer) PE can cover SWE. Currently they do not offer an exam for SWE and expect to within a year or so. They used to gather experience records and then waive the exam. Since they stopped waivers altogether, it kind of puts the hamper on the PE requirement. Since most SWEs are also EEs they suggest getting an EE PE. Texas does not limit a PE to a discipline but requires them to have experience in that discipline. Not all states are on-board with the SWE like they are for the other disciplines. According to the TBPE, once ~10 states agree, the other states join in.

Since most SWEs are also EEs they suggest getting an EE PE.
Looks like there are 15 ABET accredited software engineering programs, so that may no longer be the case.

ABET

EDIT - Oops. Can't link the search results. I changed the link to ABET's website, but here are the results

A
Auburn University

Auburn, AL

Engineering

Date of Next General Review: 2010 - 11

Software Engineering (BSWE) [2005]

C

Clarkson University

Potsdam, NY

Engineering

Date of Next General Review: 2008 - 09

Software Engineering (BS) [2003]