CERM Ch 86 Project Managment

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerStroke79_PE

Reaction score
Working the Practice Problems (Companion to CERM 15th Ed.) from Chapter 86 (Project Management,Budgeting, and Scheduling) I seriously feel like the questions do not match up with the material from the CERM. Can anyone comment on this? Yes about 35 out of the 61 problems can be worked from the CERM, but the rest are either from another chapter or another source and require in depth readings and background. Can anyone comment on this? I really want to improve in this section and almost half of these questions just concern me. About 7 of them I just knew from construction experience, but I still paused a bit when answering them. 

Mmmmm....  this is questionable Hemi.  This borderline belongs in the exam prep forum.  :p  

I am using the All in One as opposed to the CERM, but it sounds like a common occurrence with the construction exam. The construction depth( that people tend to underestimare the difficulty ) relies on experience and knowledge across multiple topics to answer questions.  For example, if trying to calculate cost and time for material hauling you will need to understand earth mass calculations to determine bank and loose volume to calculate how much material you actually need to haul. Some of the material may also be covered in a previous chapter. If you have to flip to multiple chapters you should make notes for the exam so you know where to turn if similar topics/questions come up as opposed to spending time in the exam to figure out what other sections the material may be under. 

Mmmmm....  this is questionable Hemi.  This borderline belongs in the exam prep forum.  :p  
LOL

I am using the All in One as opposed to the CERM, but it sounds like a common occurrence with the construction exam. The construction depth( that people tend to underestimare the difficulty ) relies on experience and knowledge across multiple topics to answer questions.  For example, if trying to calculate cost and time for material hauling you will need to understand earth mass calculations to determine bank and loose volume to calculate how much material you actually need to haul. Some of the material may also be covered in a previous chapter. If you have to flip to multiple chapters you should make notes for the exam so you know where to turn if similar topics/questions come up as opposed to spending time in the exam to figure out what other sections the material may be under. 
This is for the CERM. The Companion, which is all problems, is divided in chapters. However, for Chapter 86 I just don't see the chapter in the CERM help me get the answer. The solution is explained well in the Companion which is great, but I would like some background on the issue. I will now make some cheat sheets from the solutions of the companion to be on the safe side. I don't want to have to carry that book into the exam. 

Based on the solution explanation,  look through the CERM to see if the topic is covered in another section.  If it's already covered once, they most likely won't repeat the information a 2nd time as they will assume you already covered it in previous topic area. 

In regards to test day, don't feel like you have to bring as little references as possible.  If you think it may help bring it along. There's a good chance several people will have more than you. I felt awkward going in with a full milk crate, but then I saw people with multiple full sized rolling luggages, and 1 guy had a full sized hand truck with 3 or 4 boxes of books on it. If you think it may help you, bring it along. The worse that can happen is you don't use it. It would suck if you are having a trouble figuring out a problem and know exactly where you need to go, in a book you didn't bring, to help slove the problem. 

Back