CERM 10th vs 11th Editions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Reaction score
I've got Civil 10th edition for the review already and was going through it. Looking at the site, there's 11th out. Will studying 10th be sufficient for AM section? I don't really want to buy another $170 book if I don't have to. I'm doing structural for PM.

Thanks a lot!

I took the exam in April with the 10th edition. The only difference I found was that the 11th edition has some additional construction material. That might help you in the morning. Any construction management text book will carry you through the construction morning part.

I've got Civil 10th edition for the review already and was going through it. Looking at the site, there's 11th out. Will studying 10th be sufficient for AM section? I don't really want to buy another $170 book if I don't have to. I'm doing structural for PM.
Thanks a lot!
As many of the driving forces behind the update from 10 to 11 were found in the Structural section, it would be my recommendation to buy the new one. It has been out long enough that you can probably find it out there at a discount (maybe someone has one that they will sell used). Would you go into the test using the wrong codes? Why would you do that with the CERM. Keep in mind that the cost to take the exam a second time is at least $250. You are taking a gamble that they don't ask you a code related question just to make sure you have the right books. During the exam you will probably depend a lot on the CERM. You do not want to have to keep second guessing it by having to double check to see if a code has changed.

Just for some credibility, I took and passed the exam last October (structural emphasis). I made sure that I had the new CERM but felt comfortable taking in an old version of the SERM just as an extra reference to help with theory in case they asked questions on timber or diaphragms... Used it just for guidance, not code related questions.

buy the new one if possible. :)
I second that motion^ the 11th ed tries to follow the subjects in the new exam outline. I'm glad I bought a use copy that was tabbed. Check out the other reference manuals vs cost. Borrow a copy

To pass this exam you have to spend lots of $$$$. Get use to it. This is not the place to cut back. (park the suv & pack your lunch for a few months. I cut off green + range fees for 4 months)

If you can't solve problems in six min or less; the Testmasters review in AZ is worth the $1500 which include the 11ed book and sample problems.

Good luck!

I used the 9th edition and didn't have any problems. The construction questions are so easy you don't really need any references.

Back