CEPP Ch 74 Problem 2g

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennifer Price

Tattoo Girl, PE
Reaction score
CEPP Ch 74 Problem 2g asks what the uphill percent time following is? The solution to the problem references HCM Exhibit 20-21 for the coefficient values of a and b. But when I compared what the CEPP put down for the coefficients a and b, they didn't match anything the HCM said. This also held true when I needed to find the no-passing adjustment factor (fnp) (Exhibit 20-20). The factor in the solution did not match the factor in the HCM.

Am I missing something completely obvious?

I worked this problem when I was studying as well, and I found that there are errors in the solutions in Problem 74-2. I don't have my books with me anymore (I let a friend borrow them after I passed), but I remember that the coefficients were used incorrectly in the problem. I also remember that when calculating ATS that they used the equation incorrectly because they placed a plus sign in the equation where a minus sign should have been (This was the 9th edition CEPP book). It drove me crazy for a couple of days because I didn't realize what I was doing wrong. Be sure to look over the solutions in the book and find the errors because there are some in that problem.

Be sure to look over the solutions in the book and find the errors because there are some in that problem.
I worked through the 6 minute Transportation book this weekend (it was a loonnnggg weekend) but found another huge mistake! Problem 31 in the 6 minute book is identical (as far as I could tell) to CEPP Ch 74 Problem 1 - so I was thinking to myself that it would be one less problem that I had to work. But when I started comparing the solutions to both problems, I found that the CEPP solution used an incorrect conversion factor (that I didn't catch - shame on me) which made the answer completely different. I was a bit irritated about it but at the same time glad that I caught it before I used the incorrect conversion during the test.

Back