Caribbean Destinations

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyWarp

Spread that butter... with the force.
Reaction score
If you had a week to burn anywhere in the Caribbean, multiple stops ok, cruises ok, how would you do it? Relaxing trips are fine, but if you wanted to stay busy with lots of new things to see everyday, where would you go?

"And the lady she hails from Trinidad, island of the spices,

salt for your meat, and cinammon sweet,

the rum is for all your good vices"

J. Buffet

I just got back from Dominica (no, not the Dominican Republic), if you like hiking through rainforest's, sulfar deposits, boiling lakes, swimming in waterfalls and spending time on uninhabited beaches on an very undeveloped island you'd like Dominica.

Last edited by a moderator:
St. lucia is overall great

grand caymons excellent for water activities

St. Thomas was nice

Jamacia was ok...Dunns river falls was a lot of fun though

St. Maartin smelled horrible

bahamas was soso

I've heard nothing but good things about Punta Cana

I just got back from Dominica (no, not the Dominican Republic), if you like hiking through rainforest's, sulfar deposits, boiling lakes, swimming in waterfalls and spending time on uninhabited beaches on an very undeveloped island you'd like Dominica.
Maybe another time. You know the tourist display with all the local attractions just inside the door at crappy hotels across America? I'm looking for a place that has a weeks worth of stuff in that display.

Last edited by a moderator:
we cant decide where were going either, wife wants to get her scuba certification and I am leaning towards Grand Kayman or slum in Cancun or Cabo (sp?)

I already have mine but I think I am going to end up going with her on her certif. dive, so I might as well sign up for the class since they are most likely going to charge me anyways for tagging along.....

we cant decide where were going either, wife wants to get her scuba certification and I am leaning towards Grand Kayman or slum in Cancun or Cabo (sp?)
I already have mine but I think I am going to end up going with her on her certif. dive, so I might as well sign up for the class since they are most likely going to charge me anyways for tagging along.....

Did my checkout dive in Grand Cayman through a company called Bob Soto's. This was back in the early 90's. They really took good care of you. Been diving at other places, but never felt the same comfort level. And the whole place is a nature perserve, just georgeous.

The diving in the Caymans realy is amazing. the shallow diving is amazing, reefs everywhere.

Nothing beats the wall dives, on the north side of island. I have truley never seen anything like it. the dives are only 100'. the wall starts 60' below the surface, it is amazing.

If you want to dive, there is no place better than Bonaire!

If you want to dive, drink, party, check out some ruins, etc then Cozumel is a great choice.

I wasn't really impressed with St. Lucia.

okay so I have the wife signed up for her open water, begrugdenly I signed up for a refresher just to "tag along" with her. Then she watches the dateline last night about the couple that got left overnight at the great barrier reef.........couple claims the boat left them, the boat claims they strayed from the "official" dive area, but just enough to give the old lady some pre-class jitters.. oh well, at least the class was non-refundable so she cant back out...

yeah but she makes Clark Howard look like Donald Trump in terms of spending money, if we have paid for it she will go.

CUBA!!!.............

I heard that La Habana is full of european tourism. Great beaches, good food. So, lets finish with that STUPID embargo and enjoy what the cuban island has to offer.

We're taking a cruise in late October (yes, the day after I take the FE) and it goes to Grand Cayman, Roatan Island (Honduras), Belize, and Cozumel. Cruises are a particular favorite of ours; we prefer them to land-based vacations like at an all-inclusive or whatever.

We snorkel seriously and will likely snorkel in 3 of the 4 poirts. We're considering a resort scuba thing in Belize, because the reefs are supposed to be stunning. No time or inclination to get certified, though.

My field engineer up in Ontario loves Cuba and goes every few years. In the Toronto airport there was a lot of Cuba tourism advertising and it was just WEIRD to see, as an American who would have difficulty traveling there due to the embargo.

My field engineer up in Ontario loves Cuba and goes every few years. In the Toronto airport there was a lot of Cuba tourism advertising and it was just WEIRD to see, as an American who would have difficulty traveling there due to the embargo.

I concur!!

Back