Career burnout

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started out in engineering, got into IT, and now am happily back into the relatively sheltered waters of engineering.

IT is a field with an exponential learning curve with burnout lurking constantly.

let me guess - you recently crossed the 7-8 year mark of the working life. i think it happens to everybody - that period of time where you just aren't excited like you used to be, but you recognize you have it pretty good.
Man, hit the nail on the head for me. I just look at what my boss does and what I've been doing for the last 8 years and I just don't think I can do it for another 30+ years, even if it means that I make less money. Money is NOT the route to happiness in life. I was just as happy when I first started (making a lot less money) and still do the same activities (spearfishing, camping, mountain biking, traveling, etc.) outside of work now as I did then but I make more money. Funny how you still find a way to spend it isn't it?

Anyways, for the last 4-5 years I've wanted to go to fire school and obtain my firefighter/paramedic certification. I'm enrolling in a 7 month night program this September and I can't be more stoked about it. I may end up quitting this behind-a-desk/computer-pushing-paper job one day or I may not but at least I'll still accomplish something I've wanted to do for a long time now. And one of the perks about that job is that I could still be an "engineer" on my days "off" of work.

Being stuck inside most of the day responding to clients "needs" for everything they needed "yesterday" is just wearing on me.

Who Moved My Cheese? by Spencer Johnson, MD is a good book to read. You can read it in less than 2 hours. It is a story of how to adapt to change and actively seek what makes you happy.

I read the book about 8 years ago when I was at a new job after 13 years with the same company. It was returned to me by someone I loaned it to and I re-read it. Good the 2nd time, too.

It's worth the cost and time to read.

Back