career advice please, geomatics -> civil engineering

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bristol

Reaction score
Hi there, thanks for your help.

I’m an internationally graduated civil engineer; I’ve just passed the EIT exam (after more than ten years out of school and on my first try!). I’m writing this because I don’t know how to start my civil engineering career, I’m on my mid 30's :(

During the last five years I was working as a geomatics analyst (have a masters on hydrology and other on geomatics). I learned a lot during this time; although I can’t compete with a computer scientist I’m fairly good at programming, data bases and general computing. All these years I stuck with this geomatics job because it was a good one, and at some point I was happy with my new career field path. However, when I decided it was time to move ( I work for a small company so there are no possibilities for a career advancement or meaningful raises), and started looking for another job, I’ve found that, apparently, my geomatic skills/experience/education weren’t as good as I thought . It was then that I decided to take the EIT exam and try to go back to the civil engineer world.

I haven’t sent any resumes yet, and very I’m aware that because of my zero experience on the civil engineering field find job is not going to be easy. In theory I can do very well on a hydrology job (they use a lot of data analysis, models and geomatics stuff), unfortunately these kind of jobs are rather reduced (mostly on the government). I’d like to get into structural, but, again, with my zero experience I’m afraid that is not going to happen.

On top of that, I have a mortgage and bought a nice car (yes I know, it was a foolish decision), so I can’t get an entry job that pays too low. I was thinking on small temp part time jobs here and there, mostly CAD, but I don’t know how feasible is that.

So, that will be my dilemma, any advice or opinion is much appreciated.

Thanks!

My advice would be to latch on to a big company in there hydrology department and try and work work work to make a name for yourself.and try and move up as quick as you can, but in CE it "ain't gonna happen overnight"...

. But the main way to make lots of money in civil engineering is to be able to win work for whomever you work for...

Good luck

Good advice from Road Guy.

With your specialized skill set, I would think that you need to find a job where you will excel immediately and then gain experience with other areas of that firm.

I agree with the others. You already have the academic background (Masters in Hydrology) and you have experience that is somewhat relevant to the field(I know that some companies specifically look for people that are proficient with GIS). If you switch to structural, you'd start from 0 basically.

Back