Camping

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
Does anyone do this anymore?

When I was a kid, my parents used to take us camping a good bit. We had a pop up camper, Coleman stove, Coleman Cooler, aluminum fold up chairs and comfy bags. KOA Kampgrounds were preferred, but any port in a storm.

We used to hit Arrowhead Campground in Myrtle Beach a good bit in the sixties...is it even there anymore? There used to be tons of Camper World type magazines out there when I was a kid.

Anyway, I've gotten older and prefer climate control, a nice bed and TV to 'roughing it,' but does anyone still camp?

Last edited by a moderator:
My idea of roughing it is running out of TP and being forced to use paper towels.

My idea of roughing it is running out of TP and being forced to use paper towels.
I camp at Asssateague State park at least once a year. I'm allowed to get drunk on the beach! At least I have not gotten in trouble yet.

my inlaws still do, its really the only type of vacation they will take. they drove from IL to Seatle to help FIL bro with some plumbing remodeling stayed at campgrounds on the way there, then camped for several weeks in the yellowstone area then camped their way back home. sometimes they pitch tents, other times they sleep in the back of their van. My FIL built a platform for the back of the van so they could store things under it and sleep on top of it.

we have friends that have a semi-permanent trailer at a campground that they use as a summer retreat. My cousin bought a used pop-up camper and she and her husband and two small kids go camping all over the place. they love it. When I was dating my wife we went on a group camping trip using tents. Knowing this, she still packed clothes on hangars and brought an electric hair dryer. That was her first and my last camping trip.

Actually, my wife and I camped this past weekend. We went down to Chattanooga (which is a really cool town, btw), and tent camped for a couple of nights on the lake at a county park. We try to go at least once a year. When I was a kid, we had a pop-up (like the captain) and went all over the south in that thing. I especially remember going to disneyworld. We stayed in that thing (with no A/C, mind you) for several days in the middle of July at the Disneyworld campground (Ft. Wilderness?). That was probably the second hottest I have ever been.

Now my folks have an RV they travel in, but thats not really camping.

And when I first moved to TN, I lived in a travel trailer for a year and a half (including ~7 months married). :true:

I camp at Asssateague State park at least once a year. I'm allowed to get drunk on the beach! At least I have not gotten in trouble yet.
I know where that is I think! Is that the place with the WWII watchtowers on the beach?

sometimes they pitch tents, other times they sleep in the back of their van.
Oh, and btw, I'm pitching a tent right now.
Other than that, I only camp when it's Cub Scout camp out time. But I have been thinking about the three week cross-country camping trip we took when I was 15; Georgia to LA and back around through Texas. That would be a good experience for my kids.

You haven't lived until you've camped your way across the country.

With your mother and two sisters.

All in monthly sync.

I think we got as far as Kansas before I said "F- this, I'm walking the rest." I made it a good 2 hours down the road.

I know where that is I think! Is that the place with the WWII watchtowers on the beach?

sometimes they pitch tents, other times they sleep in the back of their van.
Oh, and btw, I'm pitching a tent right now.
Other than that, I only camp when it's Cub Scout camp out time. But I have been thinking about the three week cross-country camping trip we took when I was 15; Georgia to LA and back around through Texas. That would be a good experience for my kids.

You haven't lived until you've camped your way across the country.

With your mother and two sisters.

All in monthly sync.

I think we got as far as Kansas before I said "F- this, I'm walking the rest." I made it a good 2 hours down the road.
I have seen the WWII watch towers along the Maryland and Delaware coastal highway. (North of Ocean City) That is a bit north of Assateague State Park. I have not seen any there but its possible. The place is big so I have not explored it all.

the only two requirements for camping i have are an inflatable matress and an outhouse...don't need running water, just somewhere to sit to go to the bathroom. I do not have the coordination to pee while squating without getting clothes wet.

I go with the my Sons' Boy Scout troop several times a year. But no sissy campers for us. I wear wool underwear and sleep on the ground!!!

I have seen the WWII watch towers along the Maryland and Delaware coastal highway. (North of Ocean City) That is a bit north of Assateague State Park. I have not seen any there but its possible. The place is big so I have not explored it all.
That's what I was thinking about - that stretch north of Bethany and south of Dewey.

I really want to take my son over to Morris Island and camp one night. You can only get there by boat and I think he would love it. We used to do a family camping trip once a year. Then when I was in cub scouts we did a couple in addition to that a year. Our hunting club had a lodge but for as bad a shape as that place was in, I think I would have preferred staying in a tent.

When I was dating my wife we went on a group camping trip using tents. Knowing this, she still packed clothes on hangars and brought an electric hair dryer. That was her first and my last camping trip.
This is about how it went for my wife as well.

But before I was married, I camped frequently. We camped fri-sun about every other weekend from April through October. We built an outhouse, but had no electricity or running water.

Does anyone do this anymore?
I do, frequently. I plan to do so next weekend as a late season finale for this year. I've camped 8 or 9 nights this season.

IMG_0246.jpg

the only two requirements for camping i have are an inflatable matress and an outhouse...don't need running water, just somewhere to sit to go to the bathroom. I do not have the coordination to pee while squating without getting clothes wet.
I don't need hot water and I hate showering under most circumstances, but potable water is a big thing for me. Nice to be able to brush my teeth or top off the water jug at a spigot.

As for the coordination issue, it is definitely possible. You witness some amazing things marrying into a family of outdoorsy ladies.

We do, too. We went a couple of times this summer. We usually look for a mountain campsite with a stream nearby. Or, we camp at an organized state park, and go mountain biking during the day near Fruita, CO.

My wife and I camp. Im indifferent to it, but I go along because she really likes. We tend to find a nice spot where our dogs can run around and somewhere that we can do some hiking near by.

Back