California

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@bobbilly I should add on that this assumed you've already submitted an application for licensure. If you haven't, then you need to fill out the form below.

http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/pubs/forms/ceapp.pdf
Thanks for the link to the form, I mailed it last Thursday. I had already submitted the application to take the exam along with all my references, etc. and got approved. Is the next step to just wait for a license number to be issued? I wonder how long that will take...

Thanks for the link to the form, I mailed it last Thursday. I had already submitted the application to take the exam along with all my references, etc. and got approved. Is the next step to just wait for a license number to be issued? I wonder how long that will take...
I believe @CAPLS mentioned that licensing occurs twice a month in another thread?

You should look out for a potential email from the BPELSG saying they received your form. It's a simple form email, from what i remember. I'm pretty sure my license number showed up within a week or two after that confirmation email came. I got my license sometime in the first half of June last year, but was definitely expecting it more like at the end of the month.

Not trying to spread false hope here. Just saying, last April, things went faster than I expected in terms of getting my license number.

I passed national exam and surveying in Fall 2017. At that time I submitted application with references to the board and paid fees.

I re-took seismic exam and passed in Spring 2018  

Will board issue me license number automatically with next update of their “license look up” web page, or I need to submit Notice of successful national examination?

I passed national exam and surveying in Fall 2017. At that time I submitted application with references to the board and paid fees.

Will board issue me license number automatically with next update of their “license look up” web page, or I need to submit Notice of successful national examination?
Congrats man! I hardly remember anyone took the seismic and passed the first tim! 😖😞

Any advice regarding seismic exam based on your experience? 

Regarding the license number, I would simply call the board.

I have just passed the April civil pe exam in NJ state and im in the process of getting licensed. However, currently thinking to relocate to California, what are the requirements to get licensed in California

I have just passed the April civil pe exam in NJ state and im in the process of getting licensed. However, currently thinking to relocate to California, what are the requirements to get licensed in California
you would have to take all of the california/state specific exams i believe

You will also need to apply for comity. You should check with the board directly to see what they will need from you in terms of references,  experience records, education records etc. As a new PE, their requirements may be different than if you had PE for several years already. They may want you to meet the requirements as if you applied directly to California. 

You should be automatically licensed when the licenses get issued. I was told that licenses will be issued at the very end of May.

Anybody know when results will be released for people who took the CA exams in early/mid May?

Anybody know when results will be released for people who took the CA exams in early/mid May?
I believe @CAPLS said results should typically be available in the middle of the month following the month in which you took the exam. So, probably mid-June for those who took the exam at any time in May would be my guess.

For those of you who JUST got their lic. number.... is the expiration date Sept. '18?? Mine is and I'm wondering why that is...any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of you who JUST got their lic. number.... is the expiration date Sept. '18?? Mine is and I'm wondering why that is...any insight would be appreciated.
For engineers and surveyors in California, renewals occur on a quarterly basis and your first one will generally be the first quarter immediately following your initial license date.  Highly depends on the actual date of initial licensure.  California Board is in the minority as far as boards go, including the initial term of licensing in with the application fees and does not require a separate fee to be paid for initial license.  Enjoy this and every 2 years afterwards.

For engineers and surveyors in California, renewals occur on a quarterly basis and your first one will generally be the first quarter immediately following your initial license date.  Highly depends on the actual date of initial licensure.  California Board is in the minority as far as boards go, including the initial term of licensing in with the application fees and does not require a separate fee to be paid for initial license.  Enjoy this and every 2 years afterwards.
Thanks !... do you know if being a new licensee I'm also subject to the "new" rules concerning the assessment ? Reading through another post here it doesn't appear that it has been implemented yet.

Back